Central Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I’m looking for a new Solar Cover Reel for my 18’x36’ pool. To minimize middle sag, should I go with tubing sized to 21’ or for 28’.? As I get older, my back hurts when reeling the cover on the models I’ve had in the past. Mainly the a hydrotools low profile reels. I typically use a 16mil cover. Looked at Pool Boy 1 electric reel as well, but can’t find anyone who’s actually used one. Anyway, looking for advice. Sagging in the middle can be tough on the back.!

Thanks
Rich

Sagging in the middle can be tough on the back.!
You, or the reel ? :ROFLMAO:

Most reels use 4 or 5 ft long pieces that interlock. If you went with a wider reel, you'd have more material doubled up where the pieces meet, adding considerable strength.

My 16 mil 20x40 cover put some real strain on the reel and I needed to rebolt it with thicker bolts each season. By the end of the season it was sagging again. Go with a thin cover when the time comes to replace it to remove alot of weight from the equation. Being protected on the reel, the thin cover will be alot less prone to rips because you won't be dragging it across the deck.

The thickness doesn't matter for stopping evaporation, seran/cling wrap would work just as well because the impermeable barrier is what matters.

So, the thickness doesn’t impact heat retention? Just a longer warranty. Though they never last that long anyway. I do need a new cover and reel. Can you recommend a reel?

So, the thickness doesn’t impact heat retention?
Nope. Only longevity for snagging it on the deck/fence/ wherevs you store it. In your case with a reel, most of that concern is removed. (y)
Can you recommend a reel?
I knew my wet, large, thick cover would weigh a ton so I bought a heavy duty Rockys reel, which is a beefy brand. Many have had good things to say about this brand also (rebranded as others too)

You'll notice here how the skinny section overlaps into the thicker piece. If the budget allows, going wider would give you considerable more doubled up pipe at those spots

Screenshot_20230131_113959_Chrome.jpg

Mine had more of a flower petal cross section, like :flower:, but they should all slide into themselves with the width being set by you to your needs.

Also if the budget allows, look at the thicker diameter pipes, 5 inch instead of 4 inch / 3 inch because they will be able to handle more weight long term.

I take it no one has heard of anyone getting or using the Pool Boy I, II or III reel?
Hang tight. It's the slow season so it might take a minute with less members around. (y)

I can't tell from the pics, but I doubt they ship a solid 18ft (ft) pipe and likely use similar interlocking pieces as the others. *If so*, going thicker diameter and longer than you need would still be my thoughts.

Expensive.
I haven't looked at any of them in years, but the electric ones were all 3x to 5x more expensive when I was looking. It looks to still be. :)

Oooooh. @Casey got a Vingli reel. Let's double check with her that the sections were free sliding with you setting the width on that one.

And/or what she coulda-shoulda-woulda done differently.

I looked at the Pool Boy reels but didn't buy one. I figured the more complicated the reel, the higher chance of it failing. I ended up getting a Rockys reel because it was easier to use by one person. I found that when pulling a solar cover off a reel, the reel tends to slide on the concrete unless weighted down on the feet with sand bags. The Rockys reel can be bolted down to the concrete deck, making it easy to wind and unwind. Also if it got to the point where we found it physically difficult to operate the reel, you can get a motor kit for the Rockys.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found that when pulling a solar cover off a reel, the reel tends to slide on the concrete unless weighted down on the feet with sand bags. The Rockys reel can be bolted down to the concrete deck, making it easy to wind and unwind
+1. I bought the one with 'T' feet and left the wheels off.

Screenshot_20230131_125652_Chrome.jpg

The backup plan was to bolt it down if it still walked around but it was heavy enough to stay put.

Who makes this reel?
Rockys. At the time there was a differential between regular and heavy duty. The heavy duty had a thicker tube and upgraded bushings. I'm not current on the models but they probably have similar still.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.