Solar cover for 16 x 60 pool options

Hello everyone,

This summer I am splurging on getting a heat pump installed and have been considering getting a solar cover to help retain heat overnight. My pool is 16 x 60 and unfortunately is not a common size for solar covers.

I am considering buying two 16 x 30 covers and somehow attaching them. The other consideration is a reel. Most reviews I have seen state problems if sagging for pool lengths less than mine.

Would you recommend going without a reel, Ty one reel , or two reels and don’t attach the two covers? Or is a cover a waste?

Appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Hello everyone,

This summer I am splurging on getting a heat pump installed and have been considering getting a solar cover to help retain heat overnight. My pool is 16 x 60 and unfortunately is not a common size for solar covers.

I am considering buying two 16 x 30 covers and somehow attaching them. The other consideration is a reel. Most reviews I have seen state problems if sagging for pool lengths less than mine.

Would you recommend going without a reel, Ty one reel , or two reels and don’t attach the two covers? Or is a cover a waste?

Appreciate the feedback, thanks!
A cover is a must if you are using a heater otherwise you are just throwing your money away. Solar blankets do more to hold in heat gains than they do to gain heat.
I would get 2 blankets and 2 reels. I don't think you need to tie them together just let them both lay on the water next to each other.

Hey Doc !!!

Could you do dueling reels at opposite ends as said above? A 60 ft cover would eat through reels from the weight, and also would probably have to sit on cinderbolcks because the roll would be FAT. I guess though, it would save more than it cost if you had to replace the reel every year or 2.

The same cover straps that attach to the reel could be used at the gap if using 1 reel.

Many people cut covers into smaller more manageable pieces so they don't need to be tied together unless you are trying to reel it as one.

Reactions: DrJazker
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.