Wamego, Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
We bought a house over the winter with an in-ground pool. I'm so excited to be getting close to opening it up!

Been looking at solar covers. I was initially thinking about springing for the "high quality" versions but in reading around here, it seems that the consensus is they never seem to last longer or keep heat any better than cheap ones.

My main question is about color.

The sellers told us that when they replaced the liner, they opted for a darker blue than what they had previously, to aid with warming it up. The husband said it made a big difference and made him willing to get in the water a month earlier than previously!

So, I am curious if it would be worth choosing at least a clear color over the traditional light blue to take advantage of that darker color? I.e. let the sun's energy reach that a little more readily?

Secondary question: For a reel, any great recommendations? I am drawn to the idea of the roll away style vs bolted to the deck so that it simply isn't in the way. I figure I can also stow it along the south facing side of the fence, so it is shaded from the sun to reduce sun damage when on the roller. But I see that some have difficulties with them tipping. I'm interested in thoughts on all that that perhaps I haven't considered.

We bought a house over the winter with an in-ground pool. I'm so excited to be getting close to opening it up!

Been looking at solar covers. I was initially thinking about springing for the "high quality" versions but in reading around here, it seems that the consensus is they never seem to last longer or keep heat any better than cheap ones.

My main question is about color.

The sellers told us that when they replaced the liner, they opted for a darker blue than what they had previously, to aid with warming it up. The husband said it made a big difference and made him willing to get in the water a month earlier than previously!

So, I am curious if it would be worth choosing at least a clear color over the traditional light blue to take advantage of that darker color? I.e. let the sun's energy reach that a little more readily?

Secondary question: For a reel, any great recommendations? I am drawn to the idea of the roll away style vs bolted to the deck so that it simply isn't in the way. I figure I can also stow it along the south facing side of the fence, so it is shaded from the sun to reduce sun damage when on the roller. But I see that some have difficulties with them tipping. I'm interested in thoughts on all that that perhaps I haven't considered.
The biggest benefit is from HAVING a cover. Most heat loss is due to evaporation and the cover reduces that to almost 0. Clear cover will heat the water (a bit). If the cover is truly clear enough, then it will let light into the pool to heat it, but half of the sun's heating is from infrared so the cover should be clear to infrared, not just visible light, if possible. Ideally, it would block UV so that you wouldn't lose as much chlorine. Blue cover will get heated by the sun and transfer some heat to the pool.

Get the cheapest 8mil cover. 12 and 16 are not necessary, and certainly the 16 is heavy/bulky.

Get the rolling Rocky's Reel. A bit expensive, but after two cheap reels, I love my Rocky's. Bulletproof. Never had it tip over.

Finally, buy some of the stuff and cut and tape two pieces together that you can drape over the reel when it is out of the pool on the reel. White side up. Use a couple bungees to hold it on. Solar cover, uncovered in the sun will deteriorate quickly.

I had the Rocky's reel. I liked it a lot. You could bolt it down to the deck so it stayed in place when used by one person. The one improvement I would made to it is to make a larger wheel version and still have the deck bolt. The small caster wheels move easily on a hard surface if you plan on moving it out of the way but not so easily if you need to roll it across the yard.

Looks like that spring loaded pin must be what locks that Rocky's reel in place. That is a good idea!

Unfortunately, there aren't any distributors anywhere close to me.

It also annoys me that I can't just see what the price for that is.

Last cover I bought was the cheapest/lightest on the list: Sun2Solar 800. It only made it one year before it disintegrated. Usually the mid-grade lasts 2 years before it's tossed.

They do cut down on evaporation and the temp gets into the low 90's when it's on.

I get to turn down the chlorine and acid to about half. They are infused using a Stenner pump setup. Chlorine and acid jumped in price this last year and the savings at alone pays for a cover.. not to mention the water savings.

We get a lot of leaves in the pool and the cover helps there too. Keeping organic material out of the pool reduces the chlorine demand and wear on the robot. I swear I could run the Aquabot daily if not for a cover.

Can't recall the brand of reel. We've been in this house 26 yrs and only bought one after the last owner's reel went caput. I like to move the reel out of the way when there's a gathering. I elevate one end on something to get the water to run out before moving it. The light weight cover is a lot easier to move than the mid weight version.

@superdave5599
Pin holds it in place. I don't use it, the locks on the wheels are plenty strong...it doesn't move around when wheels locked.

Ha, thanks! Didn't think to search Amazon for that particular brand!

I think that that price tag may be a bit steep for now; we've had to spend a lot of money in other areas of the house since buying it in December to get things in compliance for foster care.

Does this one seem like it would be good enough for maybe a few years? Seems like I've seen others post about this or similar.

Ha, thanks! Didn't think to search Amazon for that particular brand!

I think that that price tag may be a bit steep for now; we've had to spend a lot of money in other areas of the house since buying it in December to get things in compliance for foster care.

Does this one seem like it would be good enough for maybe a few years? Seems like I've seen others post about this or similar.

If you can't get the Rockey's, I'd search a bit more. Hover over the stars in this product link. Look at % 5 Stars. This one is 50%. MY rule of thumb is that a decent product will have 70-80% 5 stars.

This one has 71% 5 stars and 88% 4 or 5 stars...YMMV

@superdave5599
Pin holds it in place. I don't use it, the locks on the wheels are plenty strong...it doesn't move around when wheels locked.

You are lucky or have a small pool. I had a 17'x37' cover and if you try to pull the cover back on the pool by yourself, the reel wheels would slide on the concrete. Without using the pins, we would need one to hold the reel and one to pull the solar cover off the reel.

You are lucky or have a small pool. I had a 17'x37' cover and if you try to pull the cover back on the pool by yourself, the reel wheels would slide on the concrete. Without using the pins, we would need one to hold the reel and one to pull the solar cover off the reel.
Odd, maybe it is the pool deck surface, but I have 20.5 x 40.5' pool and a 12 mil cover. I can pull the cover on by myself...Rockey doesn't move. I have stamped concrete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Odd, maybe it is the pool deck surface, but I have 20.5 x 40.5' pool and a 12 mil cover. I can pull the cover on by myself...Rockey doesn't move. I have stamped concrete.

I had a concrete overlay surface that was quite rough. Stamped concrete would be smoother.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.