Solar Blanket Colour - increase algae ?

Easto

Jun 27, 2010
Typically I use a blue solar blanket.

At the end of the season I ended up getting a clear blanket.

CYA is 40

I keep chlorine levels steady (so I believe)

I found the clear solar blanket I am getting some surface algae.

Is this something to do with the clear blanket, or is this just circumstance?

I thought maybe the amount of light getting through May be using up more chlorine with the clear one

I had a pretty good system going until
I swapped blankets.

I assume more light gets through and burns off more chlorine.

Last edited:
If you don't test and add back to target range daily, ensuring that you are free and clear above minimum FC at all times, then all other systems eventually fail.

Had you been testing regularly, you would have seen the FC drop more with the clear cover. (Or stay at the same daily loss). So either way you would have known that the system needed some tweaking. Instead you see algae.

Seeing algae automatically fails the water clarity test and warrants a SLAM Process.

With the blue cover I had a real good system for keep FC right where I need it. Seems like I am going through my chlorine with the clear cover, wasn’t sure if this was typical or not.

Post a full set of currect test results from your TF100
The color of the solar cover has zero to do with any algae you are getting.

It is usually necessary to remove the solar cover every few days to allow the pool to breath - get rid of any CC. Remove the solar cover for at least a few hours every 2-3 days during daylight hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.