Softub repairs and temperature adjustment

skidoo_rocks

Jun 6, 2022
Keswick Ontario
Hello Softub community

I thought I would share a few things I’ve learned while repairing a few of my Softub power packs. I have not serviced any of the newest power packs so if you have the style with a temperature digital display this may not apply.

There are a few videos on disassembly of the motor so I won’t comment much on it other then mention that when removing the low/high speed motor assembly that you remove the C clips before pushing out the armature. This is going to be required for replacing the bearing. I would suggest you have a 4” puller and a 3/8 socket that will fit over the shaft to help stabilize the puller while removing the bearing.

If the bearing cover doesn’t come off the bearing I would use puller on the outside edge of the casted cover plate and wrap a strap around the clamps at the cover to prevent them from slipping off. I used the big clamp that help the power pack to the motor to this purpose.

Some things I did to solve the temperature not getting high enough was to adjust micro potentiometer. Turning it clockwise increases the shut off temp. For example, if your sauna is at 7 and is 100 degrees- you want to turn this dial clockwise one full turn. If you max out your temperature and it’s only 100 degrees- turn it counter clockwise a full turn. This will allow you to increase the temperature of your Softub to 104 degrees or more if you want that.

If you want to test the temperature before re-installing the motor pack, disconnect the black wire coming out of the motor (blue/yellow/black). This will prevent the motor from starting while you check the temperature and make finer adjustments. You’ll know it’s turning on the motor by the red LED lights on the temperature gauge.

You are going to need a digital temperature gauge and a glass of hot water that you confirm is close to the maximum temperature you desire. Remove the thermostat from the water pump side and pop it into the hot water to want to stop the motor at. Now plug the motor into power outlet (with motor disconnected otherwise you’ll destroy the water seal in the wet end) and check if the motor shuts off at the temperature of your water. If not, turn the potentiometer slowly counter clockwise (to increase temperature shutoff setting).

If you are not noticing any change then it’s possible your thermostat adjustment module on the power pack is defective.

Good luck

Reactions: Newdude
Hello Softub community

I thought I would share a few things I’ve learned while repairing a few of my Softub power packs. I have not serviced any of the newest power packs so if you have the style with a temperature digital display this may not apply.

There are a few videos on disassembly of the motor so I won’t comment much on it other then mention that when removing the low/high speed motor assembly that you remove the C clips before pushing out the armature. This is going to be required for replacing the bearing. I would suggest you have a 4” puller and a 3/8 socket that will fit over the shaft to help stabilize the puller while removing the bearing.

If the bearing cover doesn’t come off the bearing I would use puller on the outside edge of the casted cover plate and wrap a strap around the clamps at the cover to prevent them from slipping off. I used the big clamp that help the power pack to the motor to this purpose.

Some things I did to solve the temperature not getting high enough was to adjust micro potentiometer. Turning it clockwise increases the shut off temp. For example, if your sauna is at 7 and is 100 degrees- you want to turn this dial clockwise one full turn. If you max out your temperature and it’s only 100 degrees- turn it counter clockwise a full turn. This will allow you to increase the temperature of your Softub to 104 degrees or more if you want that.

If you want to test the temperature before re-installing the motor pack, disconnect the black wire coming out of the motor (blue/yellow/black). This will prevent the motor from starting while you check the temperature and make finer adjustments. You’ll know it’s turning on the motor by the red LED lights on the temperature gauge.

You are going to need a digital temperature gauge and a glass of hot water that you confirm is close to the maximum temperature you desire. Remove the thermostat from the water pump side and pop it into the hot water to want to stop the motor at. Now plug the motor into power outlet (with motor disconnected otherwise you’ll destroy the water seal in the wet end) and check if the motor shuts off at the temperature of your water. If not, turn the potentiometer slowly counter clockwise (to increase temperature shutoff setting).

If you are not noticing any change then it’s possible your thermostat adjustment module on the power pack is defective.

Good luck
Where is the micro potentiometer? Can you include a picture of which part this is that needs to be adjusted? It's on the circuit board? Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.