Softer pool lighting

Embrace your pool's personality! ;)

I was shocked when I first saw my brand new pebble surface at night, cross lit by my pool light. I was all "Hey, why isn't this perfectly smooth?!?" I pinged someone here, they said that's just the nature of the finish, and the best that can be done by hand troweling. Much the same, I'd guess, as can be done with a sand floor.

My LED can cycle though a handful of colors. The darker colors, red and blue, only obscure the bumps by nature of the lower light level, not anything to do with the color itself. A shadow is a shadow, and that's what you're seeing, the elongated shadows of the bumps. The colored lights will solve for this the same way you'd see less shadows in your living room by turning down the dimmer of the an overhead light. Just darker, not less bumps.

The only thing that would solve that is by changing the angle of the light. The higher the light, the shorter the shadows. Or by adding a light at the opposite end, but those aren't practical options for an IG pool.

You can see for yourself on the cheap, before you spend any money on a light or lens. Find something colored and hold if over the light. Ummm, ummm... A t shirt? A green Sprite bottle cut and flattened? A thin plastic bowl. You get the idea. Not exact, but a close approximation perhaps, if you find the right thing.

I do like the LED though. I'm not so much into the colors, but being able to dial down the light, from a bright-ish white to a subtle blue or green, down to a romantic red.

But beware, my particular LED on it's brightest setting is no match for a 500 watter. Not even close. Mine's a Pentair. Not sure how bright the other multi-colored LED brands get. But I don't want a bright pool light, so mine works for me...

Your last comment sparked a brain cell. I think my light is somehow adjustable. Can't remember now, something about how wide it shines. Like a spot to flood feature. I doubt it would matter too much in my pool, but you said your most bothered by things on the sides? If your light happens to have such a feature, maybe playing around with that might do the trick.

I have an old vacuum line on the side of my pool that is doing nothing. I wonder if i can install an extra light in there and would it get rid of the shadows? I could use some more light actually. My lighter liner was extremely bright at night. This one does not give off nearly as much light. It would be only one on the side and could look uneven though.

I have an old vacuum line on the side of my pool that is doing nothing. I wonder if i can install an extra light in there and would it get rid of the shadows? I could use some more light actually. My lighter liner was extremely bright at night. This one does not give off nearly as much light. It would be only one on the side and could look uneven though.

Hmm, only know a little about this. There's a bunch of components and electrical codes for a pool light. Conduit, junction box, bonding. Other stuff too, maybe. It might be possible, but it's more involved than just running a wire. You'd need a qualified electrician for that. And I think you'd need to drain your pool down below the fixture.

Does your deck or coping overhang the pool? You might be able to add LED lighting under the ledge that could help, though I'm not sure this can be added to an existing pool. It would certainly get rid of your shadows. If you had it on a separate circuit, then the main light and coping lights could work together or separately for some interesting effects. Something like this:

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 10.29.06 PM.jpg

Google "pool lighting" or "pool coping lighting" for some other ideas. They've come along way in pool lighting. Not just big, single bulbs in the sides any more...

I kinda want this for my pool, now that I see it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm, only know a little about this. There's a bunch of components and electrical codes for a pool light. Conduit, junction box, bonding. Other stuff too, maybe. It might be possible, but it's more involved than just running a wire. You'd need a qualified electrician for that. And I think you'd need to drain your pool down below the fixture.

Does your deck or coping overhang the pool? You might be able to add LED lighting under the ledge that could help, though I'm not sure this can be added to an existing pool. It would certainly get rid of your shadows. If you had it on a separate circuit, then the main light and coping lights could work together or separately for some interesting effects. Something like this:

View attachment 75240

Google "pool lighting" or "pool coping lighting" for some other ideas. They've come along way in pool lighting. Not just big, single bulbs in the sides any more...

I kinda want this for my pool, now that I see it!

No overhang. Trying to keep it simple and cheap. That old line that was intended for cleaning is my only easy hardwiring option without lifting the pavers and digging. I see they have return jet lights powered by the water. Not sure if they are any good though.

- - - Updated - - -

There you go. I also just read here that there are colored lens covers available that some how snap on to existing pool lights. Google "pool light lens covers".

Looking into those also.

Keep us posted with what you come up with! With all the zaniness that some members here get into, it'd be nice to hear about a simple issue solved with a simple solution! ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.