Soft Swim to chlorine to SWG--eventually

I'm planning on starting my conversion today on a 21' AGP..I'm curious, how many bottles of bleach have you used? Im hoping ours won't take as long as yours did : (
One of us are off work everyday for the next 3 days...hoping with continuous testing, we will be done by then.

I'm planning on starting my conversion today on a 21' AGP..I'm curious, how many bottles of bleach have you used? Im hoping ours won't take as long as yours did : (
One of us are off work everyday for the next 3 days...hoping with continuous testing, we will be done by then.
Welcome! :wave:

Post pictures! Lots of pictures. Start with the mushroom cloud when the first slash of bleach hits the water. Posting Photos Tutorial.:bounce::colors:

image_06[1].jpg

Look at the beautiful blue water we have now. We are maintaining our FC overnight. My husband didn't check the CC's this morning because he was tired after working all night. I will check them in the morning. I feel pretty confident that we're almost converted.

We made it to CC at 0.5. We are in the process now of salting our pool and getting all of our numbers where they need to be to turn on the SWG. Thanks so much for all the great help. I will continue to visit and use this site and encourage everyone I know with a pool to check it out. I don't know what we would have done without poolmath.

I do have one last question about the conversion to salt. Why are TFP's recommended levels different from Haywards recommendations that came with the AquaTrol RJ?
They recommend
FC 1-3ppm
pH 7.2-7.6
CYA 60-80 (80 is best)
TA 80-120
CH 200-400

TFP recommends
FC 4-6ppm
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CYA 70-80
CH above 50 for vinyl

I guess the biggest differences ar the the FC and TA.Why? We are completely new to chlorine so I am wondering.

Thanks. I knew there was a good reason. I trust TFP. Our FC is drifting down and we should be ready to start the SWG this weekend. What would be a good setting (%) and pump run-time to start with? I know it's trial and error until the best setting is achieved.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would start with a four hour pump run time and set the SWG to 60%. The SWG will almost certainly need it's percentage adjusted a couple of times until you zero in on the correct setting. The pump will probably be fine.

From reading other threads about baqua conversion, there is often a suggestion to remove lights and clean the niche if any, to see if any baqua goo is hiding, which may prolong the completion. also i have seen recommendations to remove the ladder and pool toys and clean them with chlorine

If you keep the TA as high as they recommend you will have rapid PH increases, leading to very high acid usage. And with their FC levels you will most likely have algae eventually.

That's exactly what happened to me! Once I adjusted TA and FC to TFP standards, it's been smooth sailing (or should I say swimming)!

BTW, it's been several years since I've had to add MA. pH settles around 7.6 and stays there all season. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.