Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
What is common to soak a large filter to clean it? 5 gallon bucket is way too small. Is a cheap trash can good?

I have Strip Kwik and am thinking if I fill a trash can of water, it may be difficult to move it when I need to dump the water and strip kwik.

Suggestions?

Is a cheap trash can good?
Yup. I use the big green landscaper bucket but I keep meaning to get something smaller.

35 and 55 gallon blue plastic drums are between $20 and $35 on the offer up app depending on the day.

I set my bucket up where I can dump it over afterwards. You could also empty some with 5 gallon bucket trips until it was more mover friendly.

Is a cheap trash can good?
Make sure it's sturdy enough to handle the weight of the water. Also make sure it's big enough to completely submerge all your filters at once.

I have Strip Kwik
Use genuine TSP to soak your cartridges.

it may be difficult to move it when I need to dump the water
I have a cheap submersible pump that I drop in the trash can to drain it. After draining, I flush the pump thoroughly.

Reactions: Newdude
Yup. I use the big green landscaper bucket but I keep meaning to get something smaller.

35 and 55 gallon blue plastic drums are between $20 and $35 on the offer up app depending on the day.

I set my bucket up where I can dump it over afterwards. You could also empty some with 5 gallon bucket trips until it was more mover friendly.
How much solution and water do you use in it?

From their website:

Directions
DE and Cartridge Filters: Rinse the cartridge or element with a garden hose prior to applying product. Using a clean spray bottle with full strength product, evenly coat elements or cartridge. Wait 10 minutes and then rinse thoroughly with a garden hose for 5 minutes. Then, using a large clean plastic bucket, soak for 1 hour in a solution of 1 part Strip Kwik and 3 parts water. Rinse thoroughly with a garden hose before use.

Then, using a large clean plastic bucket, soak for 1 hour in a solution of 1 part Strip Kwik and 3 parts water.
It's $20 a quart and my bucket has about 30 gallons of water around the filters, so $800. :ROFLMAO:

The one time I used filter cleaner was quick strip in a spay bottle and it did no better than the just the hose so I never used it again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I find that soaking cartridges is just a waste of my time.. I did it once and never again.

My cartridges lasted 7 years.. Actually, I replaced them after 7 years, and it made almost no difference in my filter pressure.. I suspect that they would have lasted another 3 years, at least.. I only replaced them because I got antsy :mrgreen:

I don't work for my pool, my pool works for me... :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JamesW
I agree.

99.9% of the time, it is completely unnecessary.

Hose the cartridge off and that should be good enough.
So I could probably just use these two bottles with a spray bottle and then go back to just spraying.

I sprayed with just water last summer and they seemed pretty clean.

It's $20 a quart and my bucket has about 30 gallons of water around the filters, so $800. :ROFLMAO:

The one time I used filter cleaner was quick strip in a spay bottle and it did no better than the just the hose so I never used it again.
Yeah, that’s what I thought too! I was thinking of just dumping one of the bottles in the trash can and fill it up with water. But all the directions I read said to spray it on the filter. I have two bottles, so I’d like to use them.