So what does everyone drive?

RobbieH said:
We have Audi, BMW, and MB diesels here. Chevy just released a diesel too. One you are forgetting is Jeep and Dodge. The Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel with the Italian 6 is out, the Dodge 1500 with the same engine will be out soon. We are considering the Grand Cherokee to replace my truck, but I may look at that new Dodge 1500.

I really would like to have the Toureg V10 diesel, but they are hard to find.
We do but their choice is limited. MB for example there's no C Class diesel (that I'm aware of) although their SUVs all have bluetec versions I believe and so does the E class.
Audi - again no A4 Diesel, you have to go A6 or above and even then you have to get the Premium Plus or Prestige trim. They're pricing the diesel out of the market for a lot of people as a result.
VW have a decent selection of diesels over here.

If Audi offered a diesel A5 over here, that would probably be top of my list as a daily driver.

Leebo said:
RobbieH said:
I really would like to have the Toureg V10 diesel, but they are hard to find.

Just in case you need to pull down a house. :) I too would LOVE one!!!

Well of course, that's why I had a 2006 Dodge 4x4 with a Cummins and a G56 standard transmission! :) My replacement is a Super C motor home, it has the new Ford 6.7 - for some reason they only have 660 ft lb of torque in the F550 chassis cab. :( I really wanted another Cummins, but couldn't find a Super C on a Dodge chassis. Gotta have something to tow that big Jeep with!

The main reason Americans don't have diesel cars is General Motors. Have you already forgotten those mid -80's tirds with the Olds 350 gasoline engine converted to Diesel? Loud, gutless, and prone to breakdowns. Also, the clean technology for a diesel to meet the NOx standards didn't exist until just a few years ago.

Company vehicles are;

2012 Ford Transit, wrapped, custom interior.
2006 Ford F250 extended cab, wrapped, custom bed "insert", Ranch tonneau cover.
2002 Chevy 2500 Express van, wrapped, custom interior.

Personal vehicles;

2011 Nissan Titan Pro4x, BFG A/Ts, love love love this truck.
1994 Chevy Z71 beater.

Part of the problem with Diesel in the U.S. is the are a lack of mid size diesel vehicles on the market, the choices are a handful of primarily small VW products and larger 3/4 and 1 ton pick up trucks, I don't think there are even any 1/2 ton pick ups offered with diesel as an option. A lot of this has to do with the state of California which has traditionally taken a very strong stance on diesel emissions regulations, and since California accounts for nearly 1/4 of new cars sold in the U.S. none of the major European makers have been willing to import their diesel models into the U.S. knowing they could not sell them to 1/4 of the U.S. market without major investment in emissions control. Then there are the practical headaches of driving a diesel vehicle, my F-250 is diesel, I live in a small city of about 10,000 people (probably 30,000 or so in a 20 mile radius), we have about a dozen gas stations in town and only two of them sell diesel, neither of those two are open 24 hours.

Ike

I own (2 more payments) 2006 VW Jetta with 110,000 miles on it. My husband has a 2012 Toyota Tacoma with 18,000 miles. I use the truck exclusively from Oct-January though for hairy groceries!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385566658864.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385566658864.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 107
  • uploadfromtaptalk1385566682838.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385566682838.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 107

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Casey said:
I own (2 more payments) 2006 VW Jetta with 110,000 miles on it. My husband has a 2012 Toyota Tacoma with 18,000 miles. I use the truck exclusively from Oct-January though for hairy groceries!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Ooh, bow hunting! That takes skills!

I'll post about all of my family's cars, daily drivers and non-daily drivers, because I love bragging about how many we have sitting out back.
Well, my daily driver is a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. I got the quad cab with the long bed. Sometimes I wish I got the short bed, because this thing is huge. I measured it to be about 21 ft long. I got it with the 4.7 L V8 (couldn't find one with the Hemi). One of my requirements was 4x4, so I have that. I think it's got about 148,000 miles on it. I bought it around 146K. I really would have liked something diesel, though.

My dad drives a 99 Dakota with the 5.2L Magnum engine.
My mom drives an 08 Avenger with the 3.6L V6 (I think that's what the engine is).
Yes, we all have Dodges, and no, we didn't plan that.

Since this post doesn't specify that these have to be cars that are driven on the road, I'll talk about everything else we have, also. (None of these next cars are registered).

There's my dad's 87 Camaro that I'm very slowly fixing up. That's got maybe 87K miles on it. He bought it new, with the 5.7L. 87 is the first year they sold the Camaro with the 5.7. That's not a daily driver, though. In fact, it's not even a driver. Last time that was on the road was probably at least 10 years ago.

Then, there's the 80 (or is it 81) Blazer that currently has no engine. My dad wanted to rebuild the engine in that, but it's coming along very slowly. I think it was a 5.7. This was his daily driver for a while, then it got demoted to plow truck only. Now it just sits rusting.

After the Blazer we got an 84 Dodge Power Ram for our plow truck. I'm not sure what engine is in there. This was our plow truck for a while, then something got screwed up with the trans. It doesn't move any more.

So, to replace the Dodge, we got an 89 Sierra. This one also has a 5.7L. I think it is somewhere around 149k miles. This is like a farm truck to us (even though we don't live on a farm). The main reason we have it is for plowing, though. All in all, it's a great truck for $900.

Then, there's my personal favorite vehicle. It's a 1979-ish Case 580C backhoe. Currently it has no brakes or floor, but it still works. I love using this thing. And I can include this, because I drive it.

Okay, that's it for my "What do you drive" post. I bet no one made it this far.

001.jpg

This is our 1999 Ford Expedition, Eddie Bauer Edition.
Well, it's the windshield of it anyway.
002.jpg

As of a couple weeks ago, it had 300,000 miles on it.
It now has 301,054 miles. Still in daily use.
003.jpg

This is our 2010 Motor Trend Car of the Year before the tailgate party started.
It has 120,574 miles on it.
Also in daily use.
004.jpg

This is my wife's 2007 Honda Shadow.
005.jpg

This is my 2008 Honda Goldwing.
006.jpg

It has a cup holder. :mrgreen:
007.jpg

I prefer to ride a BMX bike over driving, (you can see the link to the clip from my glory days below for more on that) but since that is not always the most convenient form of transportation, I have a 2012 4 door 4x4 Nissan Pro 4X (I got something in common with bzeller other than the fact that I lived nearby in Killeen - just North of Round Rock TX for 5-6 years.) I got the Pro4x to replace my 1994 Nissan King Cab 4x4 hardbody truck. That truck is still fine, just figured that after a bunch of promotions perhaps a new truck was not too much of a splurge. The wife has a 2011 Honda Odyssey kiddy wagon. Being a pool owning family with 3 kids, they always seem to have a buddy or two wanting to hang out and you gotta' have something that can haul them all.

http://vimeo.com/30580737

Most days it's a F150. I traded in the '04 earlier this year with 210k on the clock-- it needed brakes, tires, coils, spark plugs, shocks, and a slew of other stuff at the same time. Seemed dumb to drop more money than the truck would be worth into maintenance so off she went.

I pull this out on nice days:
C67C8429-3A1C-4BCC-9D59-E91B2BDDC2C0-80115-000020285ACEF823_zps8c4b938f.jpg

That's my baby.

Work see me in this fairly frequently--good for getting to and from remote field offices quick. ;)
234236.jpg

I've got a 04 Dodge 2500 diesel as a daily driver. It was my tow vehicle too until I got a used Volvo 660 class-8 tractor set up to tow my RV. Sadly since we settled down in one place and built a pool we have stopped using the RV so I need to get both the Volvo and our toy hauler cleaned up and sold next year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.