NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I know it’s the breakdown of matter but we usually have no cc with my chlorine test even when using the pool, well the New Jersey weather hasn’t been good so we haven’t been in the pool since last Sunday and the last 2 days I have had .5 ( well took 1 drop to get back to clear so I suppose .25) but why are we having any cc when the pool hasn’t been used. What else causes it? Could rain? It has rained a lot this week. Thanks.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

CC- Combined Chlorine​

Combined chlorine is an intermediate breakdown product created in the process of sanitizing the pool. CC causes the “chlorine” smell many people associate with chlorine pools. If CC is above 0.5ppm, you should SLAM your pool. CC indicates that there is something in the water that the FC is in the process of breaking down. In an outdoor pool, CC will normally stay at or near zero as long as you maintain an appropriate FC level and the pool gets some direct sunlight.

So I think I figured out why I have cc. The other day it poured so I had to drain like 2” of water from my pool. On a video of how to do it they said to turn the water to only pull from the bottom drain so I did that cutting off suction from the skimmer and forgot to turn it back after. So for about 4-5 days the skimmer has not been on at all.
I can see myself forgetting to turn it back again so is it necessary when draining water to only pull from bottom drain? Or can I leave it half bottom half skimmer so I don’t forget again.
cc is about .25, fc is a 7 so will the cc go away I can’t stand seeing any.

That will not effect the water chemistry.

If you use your pool pump to drain water using the skimmer, and even the main drain, you risk losing prime and destroying your pool pump. It is always best to use a low cost sump pump to drain water.

As far as your question, if you set it on part skimmer and part main drain, and your skimmer sucks air, your pump will lose prime.

Reactions: Liz315
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.