So, plaster for the third time...

socks341968

Gold Supporter
Apr 30, 2017
Midland City, AL
Okay, so they just finished plastering our pool for the third time. It's aqua white mini pebble by StoneScapes. We've had nothing but trouble with the previous two plaster jobs that were done. Just check my posts to see the mess. Well, so far, it looks okay. Not spectacular by any means. On the small step into the pool, they trenched out a spot around the tile because they waited too long to uncover the tile, and its not great. Also, they acid washed it less than 4 hours after plastering, I mean they used blowers to dry the pool and then acid washed. They used one guy walking around with a plastic gardening water jug. He just slung straight acid everywhere as he was talking on the phone. It sat in streaks towards the deep end of the pool and I don't know if this discoloration will go away. They are also planning on just pumping the water and acid directly onto our property without neutralizing it. I called the pool builder, and he says this is their normal routine, they don't neutralize the acid with soda. Also keep in mind, we are on a well water system.

OH Sock! I am just now finding this thread..............I am so sorry I did not find it sooner :( How is it looking now that it has water in it and you have had a chance to brush it?

They wanted to put straight acid out onto your property????????? Gurrrrrrrrrrrr so lazy! You and I both know they would not do that on THEIR property!!

Does the "trenching" by the tiles show up on pics?

Yes, it does Kim, I'll attach some pics in a minute. You can feel it dip in under your foot too. I guess I should look on the bright side and be happy of the less wear and tear on the glass tile...LOL! I've been outside brushing and brushing. Man is it hot! The color doesn't even really come close to matching the sample we went by to make our decision regarding color. Unfortunately, they didn't have my gorgeous "windex" blue (Tahoe blue) in the mix of samples they sent us to choose from. This color is lighter and right now, it looks more gray than anything. I put the sample on the tanning ledge and it's a big difference. I guess time will tell. In the end, if it holds together and holds water, I think we will be happy...lol. It's all relative at this point. They also threw in a ton of abalone, and I think that part looks awesome! I can't believe how it sparkles. I've taken over all pool chemistry checks and am using TFP for recommendations and using the kit we bought last year that TFP recommends. It's much easier than I thought it would be. I know I will pay more attention to it than my husband..lol. He's busier than I am, and I know I will stay on top of it.

This is where the tile is "trenched in". Honestly, I'll get over it. it's pretty minor considering everything...lol. The other is a picture of the tile and the abalone. It really sparkles. I like the way the tile contrasts with this color when it actually kind of faded into the background of the original pool color. I'm trying to see the bright side! The big white splotch in the 2nd picture is a shell that is so shiny it blots out some things..lol. The pool just finished filling this morning, so we are working at getting everything squared away. We should be experts at start-up by now. BTW, we paid nothing extra for anything, except for our glass tile, which the builder should reimburse. They paid for all of the materials, labor and the abalone shell. They weren't too happy about it, but hopefully this third time will be the charm :)
IMG_2668.jpgIMG_2683.jpg

Now that is a BRIGHT spot for sure!! LOVE IT!

That looks great! That little dip....................no one else will even notice it! Good call on moving on from it!

I, also, take care of the water in our pool. My husband would not have a clue how to do it! LOL

What did they end up doing with the walls and such from the last time?

Kim:kim:

The walls were structurally sound with no rebar sticking out or near the surface. We had it checked out by another pool contractor that is local, and they said it was fine. We also found out that another pool, much larger than ours, was plastered with the Tahoe Blue Quartz within one day of our pool, and it came out the same way. Cracks everywhere! They think it was the plaster and that it was a bad lot. They were one number away in lots, so made very close to each other. Also, I read a ton of stuff about plaster, and have found out that for some reason that Tahoe Blue is just bad luck in so many ways. Lots of splotching, discoloration and fading. Also, if there is too much water in the mix, and it dries too fast, you get the cracks and crazing. It was super hot that day, and low humidity with full sun beating down on everything. We were very lucky that this time it was a fairly cool, overcast, and humid day when they did this plaster. It did rain a little bit, but didn't seem to cause a problem. I will update with pics when the pool clears up a little. Now, we can maybe finally get started on the waterfall and bbq/fireplace area! It's been a very long year waiting, but hopefully worth it in the end :) Thanks for all of your advice and help/shoulder to cry on...lol. It has been invaluable.

WOW! That is something about the plaster being "bad". I wonder if the plaster manufacturer is helping the PB with the extra costs he incurred from this and that mess.

I am so glad things are looking up for you!

Now lets talk about how your water testing is going. Have you run the numbers yet?

The walls were structurally sound with no rebar sticking out or near the surface. We had it checked out by another pool contractor that is local, and they said it was fine. We also found out that another pool, much larger than ours, was plastered with the Tahoe Blue Quartz within one day of our pool, and it came out the same way. Cracks everywhere! They think it was the plaster and that it was a bad lot. They were one number away in lots, so made very close to each other. Also, I read a ton of stuff about plaster, and have found out that for some reason that Tahoe Blue is just bad luck in so many ways. Lots of splotching, discoloration and fading. Also, if there is too much water in the mix, and it dries too fast, you get the cracks and crazing. It was super hot that day, and low humidity with full sun beating down on everything. We were very lucky that this time it was a fairly cool, overcast, and humid day when they did this plaster. It did rain a little bit, but didn't seem to cause a problem. I will update with pics when the pool clears up a little. Now, we can maybe finally get started on the waterfall and bbq/fireplace area! It's been a very long year waiting, but hopefully worth it in the end :) Thanks for all of your advice and help/shoulder to cry on...lol. It has been invaluable.

Hello,

Although not by the book, I think you can do a lite acid wash on a very hot day that same day although odd why . Do you have any rough spots?

Either way, this would have nothing to with the craze cracking you are describing are from the product "drying out" these cracks normally swell back up underwater and close themselves.

Also, the correct method of acid washing is to dampen the walls and shell before applying the acid for the very reason you mentioned. Streaking!!

These marks will take multiple years to start to blend in unfortunately. You could expedite this by requesting another acid wash, but every time you acid wash, you are taking life out of your plaster. So it is really a judgement call for you on how bad the streaking is.

Any other questions feel free to reach out.

Socks!! You have been on my mind!

Great to see you, your initial plaster issues were that of thick plaster & hydration. Thick plaster to compensate for so-so shell carving.

I am very pleased, you did not take the advice to have the shell ripped out to earth.

Ray

- Did I ever send you a read about shell prep? It describes your pool to a T.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They did not damped the walls before acid washing them, they in fact used a blower to dry them completely before applying the acid. I actually video taped a portion of it because it's a never-ending saga with these guys. They meet the definition of insanity. I went out to talk to the guy that was applying the acid, but he said "No, no. It will be fine. I know what I'm doing." I then texted pics to the PB and told him what was going on, and he said it would be fine too. So, today when brushing, I could see the streaks plain as day. They were right where the acid was sitting. I don't want another acid wash, and would prefer they didn't touch the pool again. Every time they attempt to fix something, they make it worse.

WOW! That is something about the plaster being "bad". I wonder if the plaster manufacturer is helping the PB with the extra costs he incurred from this and that mess.

I am so glad things are looking up for you!

Now lets talk about how your water testing is going. Have you run the numbers yet?

Yes, I ran them the first day, and it's funny you should ask...lol. We are on well water, but had two filters set up. One at the source, and another towards the end of the hose. Our water, without filter, has a high iron content. .
So, here I am thinking everything will be just fine. I pour in the chlorine, and the pool turns swamp green in front of my eyes. I seriously about freaked out. I showed it to my husband, and he wasn't thrilled either. So, I got on TFP and started looking things up. Basically, I concluded it was the iron. Even with the filters, something didn't work correctly. This has never happened to us before, so I was sitting there thinking "Man, there goes me taking care of the pool now!" My daughter was going to town (we live in the country), so I had her take a sample of pool water by the pool store. I'm happy to say that for the most part, my results on everything matched theirs to a T. Since It was only my second time using the kit, I was pretty happy. I also had them to check for metal/iron. They said there was none. I saw somewhere on here to not take that reading to heart, there could still be iron. Thank goodness for that post! They sent me a list of a ton of stuff that must be added to the pool. They wanted to me put in two gallons of muriatic acid when my ph is just 7.2. That worried me about all the abalone. Then, they wanted me to put in 8 jugs of liquid chlorine and 2lbs of Stop Yellow (whatever that is). Then to add a water clarifier as this would make the water murky. They refused to believe it could be metal. I had my daughter pick up 3 quarts of metal control by Jakes, and not get the rest. She said they were mad. She got home, I added the metal control following the instructions, and my swamp pool turned perfect blue in less than an hour. I know it will take further maintenance, and plan on discussing options for filtering out the iron or just maintaining a sequestrant. I'm just so glad I didn't go the other route and looked on here first. I've attached some pics that were taken just hours apart.IMG_2695.jpgIMG_2712.jpg

What a difference, right?

They did not damped the walls before acid washing them, they in fact used a blower to dry them completely before applying the acid. I actually video taped a portion of it because it's a never-ending saga with these guys. They meet the definition of insanity. I went out to talk to the guy that was applying the acid, but he said "No, no. It will be fine. I know what I'm doing." I then texted pics to the PB and told him what was going on, and he said it would be fine too. So, today when brushing, I could see the streaks plain as day. They were right where the acid was sitting. I don't want another acid wash, and would prefer they didn't touch the pool again. Every time they attempt to fix something, they make it worse.

Sorry to hear. That is absolutely NOT the acid washing procedure, in fact the opposite.

Sorry to hear. That is absolutely NOT the acid washing procedure, in fact the opposite.

Thank you. That's what I thought. I researched it, and my husband and I both called and spoke with a Stonescapes representative about the mixing and application process. So, I felt pretty prepared for the plaster day. I noticed a few things that didn't coincide with the information that we were given (there is also a great video on YouTube that is done by Stonescapes that that shows the process in detail. It stated that should probably use at least 3 guys when acid washing to prevent streaks. Duh. So, I about had a coronary when I saw what the guy was doing. I'll attach some pics. IMG_2636.jpgIMG_2639.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.