So, I've been doing some math (electricity usage)...

Based on your previous table I wouldn't expect your watts/rpm to change too much with the new eyeball returns. You should however see higher flow rates at lower rpms tho. I would be very curious to see what your chat looks like after the change.

If I can get through these meetings, I'm going to drill and deburr the 3/8" eyeballs I have and replace them, then I'll run another set of tests at 30, 35, 40 GPM at minimum. I work from home, so I have some flexibility when I don't have to be on conference call after conference call.

In fact, I'll just pull the eyeballs and see what happens before I drill.

I"ve thought about trying to do this sort of analysis, but... I don't have a robot cleaner, I rely on two rotating in-floors to blow the dust around the pool, and the pump to pull the dust through the main drain and skimmer. So I am just running it at 80% long enough to keep the pool pretty clean.

It may run cheaper to do an extra hour or two at, say, 50% instead, but really whatever keeps the pool clean, that's how much it costs.

I can program my pump to kick up at a specified time and for a specified duration to run in-floor or suction/pressure side cleaners if I want, but I do rely on a robot. If I needed additional pressure occasionally, I would take that into consideration in my math.

In fact, my pump will do it on its own; if I told it to run at high speed for an hour for the in floor cleaners, it will reduce the run time at lower speed if I tell it I want a certain turnover.

OK with eyeballs removed:

40 GPM went from 2180 RPM to 1990. Power went from 690 watts to 570. Monthly cost from $39.09 to $32.29
45 GPM from 2400 RPM to 2150. Power from 880w to 695. Cost from 44.31 to 35.00
50 GPM from 2755 RPM to 2350. Power from 1260 to 873. Cost from 57.10 to 39.56

I did not go higher or lower, I figured there would be very little change with lower pressures, and I doubt I'd go over 50 GPM. But now after looking at these, there's no doubt, there is some efficiency to be gained by drilling out the eyes.

We put in 2 of these returns on our shallow end. They adapt their aperture size to flow rate. We've found that they do a good job of pushing debris towards the deep end skimmers even at low flow rates. At high flow rates (>70 gpm) the system runs about 5 psi lower overall. The difference at lower flows is less dramatic, but these fancy eyeball returns do what we were hoping they'd do.

http://www.sunplay.com/paramount-insider-slip-i-jet-self-regulating-return-fittings

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Robbie
You likely have a smart meter
You could use the website to get actual usage for all your analysis
turn EVERYTHING else off and run only the pump for an hour and the smart meter site will show you actual usage
And you can get Dallas power for less than $0.10

here is my usage on the 11th every 15 min as a sample
My filter pump runs from 9-11am, spa by itself from 2-3 and pool filter again from 3-5pm in this example you
you can easily show the jump in electric use
Its a VS pump set for about 2000 rpm and reported 651 watts on the jandy status
Smart-Meter-Texas-1.jpg

I do have a smart meter, but we have no access to the data.

I live in Garland and am on GP&L, which is not deregulated. In other words, we cannot change providers. But let me tell you, it's worth the slight extra cost. I have only lost power three times in 5 years, once because one of my trees dropped a huge limb on the power lines. And when there's an issue, they show up IMMEDIATELY, power outages are never for a long duration. During severe storms, they all load up in their trucks and roam neighborhoods to make sure everything is OK. Once I was having all my trees trimmed, and we called GP&L to have them drop the line to prevent any issues. They said don't worry about it, and showed up with a big truck and trimmed my trees for me for no charge. And get this, I'm on three phase power - I recently had a new AC unit installed and was able to put in a three-phase compressor. :) They have tried twice to change my meter to a single phase unit, and they are always disappointed when they find I still have three phase equipment.

All that said, my rate is $0.103 and I'm happy enough with that.

I spent a week in Rockwall a couple years ago really nice are over there. All you people with your $0.10 kW/hr electricity make me cry a lil when I look at our $0.22 kW/hr prices. I use propane for my clothes drier because its cheaper to run than using an electric dryer. Oh the wonderful machines you can run with 3ph power....

Agreed, deregulation is bad for consumers, bad for reliability, bad for infrastructure investment and good for rich people getting richer and politicians. We are on Grayson Collin Electric Coop also non-dereg, and it is fantastic. ONE power outage in 10 years during an ice storm and they were here all night fixing it. They regularly trim trees. And mine is cheaper than yours. I only pay 10.25c/kWh! LOL!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.