So glad I didn't give up!!! TFP, all the way!

Just maintain your chlorine levels. I test every morning before heading to work and dose liquid if it's called for.

Maintiaining adequate chlorine levels is the key. It doesn't take long after levels drop to zero for an algae bloom to start (ask me how I know!) and once that gets out of control you have to start the fight all over again if it gets out of hand. Even the minor bloom I had last year when I got sloppy with my chlorine levels took me 4-5 days to clear up, and I caught it early. ;)

Thanks, I can do this!!!
Just maintain your chlorine levels. I test every morning before heading to work and dose liquid if it's called for.

Maintiaining adequate chlorine levels is the key. It doesn't take long after levels drop to zero for an algae bloom to start (ask me how I know!) and once that gets out of control you have to start the fight all over again if it gets out of hand. Even the minor bloom I had last year when I got sloppy with my chlorine levels took me 4-5 days to clear up, and I caught it early. ;)

Wendy I do ALMOST the same as him but I test when it is dark and put my bleach in then. I run the pump for 30 mins after I add the chlorine to make sure it gets all over the pool.

The reason I add at night is so that the pool has a FULL amount of chlorine all night long without losing any to the sun.

Either way works!

Oh, I test every night and add what the pool math says to. I do a FULL test every Sat. or Sun morning but do not have to do much for PH or TA or CYA.

Kim

Kim

Lots of us dose the pool in the evening after the sun is off the pool. As Kim mentioned, it allows all the chlorine to work on any organics and none is lost to the sun.

Just to be clear, for maintenance FC you start with your CYA level. Example: If CYA is 40, maintain FC between 3 and 7, and never below 3. Each evening you would dose FC up to about 7. Have pump running for at least 30 minutes to allow mixing. Repeat each evening - test and dose.

Congratulations :goodjob:

Wendy,

Congratulations! Your post is so inspirational to me! Our pool was also inherited when we bought our house last August. It was crystal clear and beautiful when they showed the house the first time and then in the moving process, they let it get out of hand. Last year we spent $546 on trying to get it cleaned up and never even got it clean enough to swim. It was extremely frustrating. Now that I have been spending days reading on TFP, I see how we were "pool stored". :)

Do you have an estimate of how much bleach you used in getting your pool clear?

My CYA was very high and we used lots of Clorox, I mean LOTS! Sometimes it was 5 gallons a day to maintain the level required. But it worked and the water is so clear!!! Like tap water!
Wendy,

Congratulations! Your post is so inspirational to me! Our pool was also inherited when we bought our house last August. It was crystal clear and beautiful when they showed the house the first time and then in the moving process, they let it get out of hand. Last year we spent $546 on trying to get it cleaned up and never even got it clean enough to swim. It was extremely frustrating. Now that I have been spending days reading on TFP, I see how we were "pool stored". :)

Do you have an estimate of how much bleach you used in getting your pool clear?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are headed out of town for 10 days, leaving the pool in the hands of our daughter who will not have time to maintain the way we do. What is the best way to add chlorine while we are gone? There is a frog chlorinator attached to our pump but we don't use it, should we fill it up while we are gone? Thanks for whatever advice you can offer!

Using stabilized pucks risks driving up your stabilizer levels, and someone will still need to check your levels.

Honestly, if I were going away that long without someone very reliable and well enough versed to maintain my pool, I'd hire a pool maintenance company to tend to it. Lack of (or sloppy/incorrect) maintenance ends up risking putting you back where you were a few weeks ago, and it sure can happen quick.

I have left for a few days and simply added the anticipated needed amount of bleach to bottles labeled with the day of the week
My neighbor is kind enough to add to the pool in the evenings for me
Would imagine anyone could do so if bleach was measured out for them in this fashion

How high is your CYA?

10 days? MY thoughts (what I would do but.............) I would have her add an average of what you tend to add each day/night. I would also have her leave the pool pump on.

AND I might think about adding in a puck in a floater. Better high CYA than a green monster when you come back. Can/will she check the floater every couple of days and add a new puck if needed.

I am not sure that a pool company will maintain any better than she will. At least she will be there every day...........

Just throwing ideas out there.

You have come so far.....I would hate to see it go backwards.

Kim

I like this idea! I know about how often and how much I use. Our daughter can handle that!
I have left for a few days and simply added the anticipated needed amount of bleach to bottles labeled with the day of the week
My neighbor is kind enough to add to the pool in the evenings for me
Would imagine anyone could do so if bleach was measured out for them in this fashion

I have a frog type chlorinator and use it specifically for vacations.
The last 2 years it has only been a week, but it will be 10 days this summer.

My plan is to bring the pool up to shock level with liquid chlorine, leave the solar cover on, and place a full chlorinator pack in the frog with a setting of 2. I will run the filter on a timer for 4 hours a day at 1 hour intervals.

This will add a little to my CYA, but I keep it a little lower just for vacations. I am hoping this is enough to last til I return and will bring the pool back up to shock level again upon return.

I like that idea, our daughter is staying here with her three children while we are gone. I think she can test and add as needed. Happy Vacation to us all and enjoy your clean water!

I have a frog type chlorinator and use it specifically for vacations.
The last 2 years it has only been a week, but it will be 10 days this summer.

My plan is to bring the pool up to shock level with liquid chlorine, leave the solar cover on, and place a full chlorinator pack in the frog with a setting of 2. I will run the filter on a timer for 4 hours a day at 1 hour intervals.

This will add a little to my CYA, but I keep it a little lower just for vacations. I am hoping this is enough to last til I return and will bring the pool back up to shock level again upon return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.