Smelly suits, too high chlorine?

I got some more input (from Ben at The PoolForum) that he has seen the chlorine smell, bleaching, and straw hair effects in indoor pools where there was a lot of urination. You had mentioned that the problems were noticed after a "swim party". Did that have lots of kids and could they have urinated a lot in the pool? That can produce a lot of monochloramine and because that isn't moderated by CYA, it can be stronger. It smells different than "clean" chlorine -- a bit smellier -- and it may produce more effects on hair. I'm surprised it could affect swimsuits as much or more than chlorine, but I suppose it depends on the specific chemistry of the dyes that are used in the suits.

You measured 0 CC so if there was monochloramine in the pool during the swim party, it was gone by the time you measured it afterwards.

If the issue is in fact due to monochloramine, then that would be a problem even if you had a lower FC level unless it was so low as to run out of chlorine completely so that excess urination had no effect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.