Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all,
I know the best way to measure water is with a test kit but with 2 small toddlers and a busy work life I’m unable to measure as often as I’d like. Local pool companies charge a ton and often don’t balance chemicals correctly, while Leslie’s is just a pain and they always talk me into more products I don’t need. So, I’m looking into smart pool monitors. Has anyone had experience with a smart pool water monitor? I’m thinking of getting the Water Guru Sense 2 or the Crystal Water Monitor. Any suggestions, advice, or other monitors I should look at?

All that does is chlorine and pH. Electronic pH sensor need to be recalibrated so that will drift. I am not sure what it uses for chlorine detection perhaps ORP. ORP is not a great predictor for chlorine content.

With just those two being measured, I would save your money. You should have a handle on what chlorine your pool needs which is daily additions. PH is not really life or death you can measure that weekly if you need to.

The smart monitors might extend frequency of regular testing but not eliminate it. That is dependent on you testing regardless to determine their accuracy too. Since you chlorinate with liquid chlorine you should be doing daily additions most likely. Testing really only takes a couple of minutes with a speed stirrer.

The real way to minimize work would be adding a SWG, since the chlorine addition would be automatic. Even that needs to be dialed in, and the failure of the SWG will likely be when you get comfortable and are in between tests (they should last years though).

If I was unable to find 3-5 minutes a day to care for my pool, maybe every 2-3 days after dialing it in, I’d probably just find a local pool guy. The quality would be significantly lower (I started with one) but you really need to spend a little time on it consistently.

The smart monitors might extend frequency of regular testing but not eliminate it. That is dependent on you testing regardless to determine their accuracy too. Since you chlorinate with liquid chlorine you should be doing daily additions most likely. Testing really only takes a couple of minutes with a speed stirrer.

The real way to minimize work would be adding a SWG, since the chlorine addition would be automatic. Even that needs to be dialed in, and the failure of the SWG will likely be when you get comfortable and are in between tests (they should last years though).

If I was unable to find 3-5 minutes a day to care for my pool, maybe every 2-3 days after dialing it in, I’d probably just find a local pool guy. The quality would be significantly lower (I started with one) but you really need to spend a little time on it consistently.
I forgot to change my profile as I just got a SWG but have yet to use it bc we had a pipe break! We finally get our pool back up and running in next few weeks. I’m glad to hear it’s easier tho! This Sense 2 measures: fc, ph, CYA, Alk, and hardness while the Crystal measures ph and ORP. Does it really take you 3 to 5 mins to check fc, ph, CYA, Alk, and hardness? These take me at least 20 mins so I must be doing something wrong. Please advise.

All that does is chlorine and pH. Electronic pH sensor need to be recalibrated so that will drift. I am not sure what it uses for chlorine detection perhaps ORP. ORP is not a great predictor for chlorine content.

With just those two being measured, I would save your money. You should have a handle on what chlorine your pool needs which is daily additions. PH is not really life or death you can measure that weekly if you need to.
The Sense 2 measures: fc, ph, CYA, Alk, and hardness while the Crystal measures ph and ORP.

Does it really take you 3 to 5 mins to check fc, ph, CYA, Alk, and hardness?
Each pool owner starts the test timing clock differently. If I am sitting on the couch and decide it’s time to test the pool water. I have to get the test kit out of the laundry room, get a pool water sample, test FC and pH, rinse out the vials put them back in the kit and put the kit back in the laundry room and return to the couch. 15 - 20 minutes. If I run all the tests, then a few more minutes. I do have a speed stir that speeds up testing without giving up accuracy.

If I started the clock when testing FC and pH after everything is on the counter... Yes, I can do that in 2 minutes. Oh, btw, when I test I am not in a hurry. Taking care of the pool is my hobby.

Hi Yabby let us know if you decide to go with Sense 2 or another smart monitor. The convenience of having the measurements sent to your phone, the ability to dial in the output of the SWG so it maintains a more consistent chlorine level in the pool are all worth it to me.

Hi Yabby let us know if you decide to go with Sense 2 or another smart monitor. The convenience of having the measurements sent to your phone, the ability to dial in the output of the SWG so it maintains a more consistent chlorine level in the pool are all worth it to me.
I decided to go with Sense 2 but won’t start using it until pool deck is complete…likely in 2 weeks👍

Awesome! Let us know what you think if you would. Life is busy and anything to cut down on maintenance and increase pool time is welcome.

Also I really like the idea of not coming out to a pool that the chlorine is way too high or out.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.