Small-scale CYA Reducer Trial

OK, starting last test tank run. Added 10g of Reducer (4x normal dose) at 3:40 pm, prepared same as my 6/8 posting.

Today (day 0) at 3:17 pm:
Total CL = 3.86
Free CL = 2.64
pH = 7.2
CYA = 190
TA = 120
CH = 190
Temp = 78.4

I noticed the high CC, unfortunately I'm running out of time to do this testing & will have to switch the tank over to other things. So I had to either start the test as-is or not do it at all. I was thinking about all these things we are doing to make this product work. At the end of the day, the product needs to work under the conditions they put on their label. So if it only works at zero chlorine, or only with distilled water in the lab, or only during a certain phase of the moon, they'd better get those things into the instructions on the label.

Today is day 5 of latest test run. CYA stayed at 190 ppm for the first 4 days. I let the chlorine get too low and it turned very hazy overnight so I can't get an accurate CYA reading. I'll just let it turn into a swamp for a few more days, then blast it with chlorine on Friday to clear it up so I can measure the resulting CYA next week.

Thanks for continuing to test an determine if there is any chance this can work. This is a product we need, but to recommend it we need to have confidence that it works more often than it fails.

Today is day 5 of latest test run. CYA stayed at 190 ppm for the first 4 days. I let the chlorine get too low and it turned very hazy overnight so I can't get an accurate CYA reading. I'll just let it turn into a swamp for a few more days, then blast it with chlorine on Friday to clear it up so I can measure the resulting CYA next week.

No way to centrifuge the cloudiness away I guess?

I run into this issue with soil chemistry test where you have to add water to test soil and then leave it for 24 hours to let the particulates settle before drawing a water sample. I've looked into pricing low cost centrifuges to help but I can't seem to find ones big enough and still in my price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if that turbidity can be filtered out with a Millipore filter. I have some 0.45 micro-meter filters and a vacuum pump to draw the water through. I don't much time to mess with it right now so probably easier to just wait out the swamp.

A Büchner funnel and vacuum flask with some 3 micron filter paper would work perfectly. Your 0.45 filter is likely to clog up instantly.

Are the filters Glass Microfiber with no binders? Not knowing what type you have or how they may trap other particles, I would say skip doing that for now. Maybe an experiment to see and compare later. I do know it takes a lot of true turbidity to skew the Cya melamine testing though just FYI.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the turbidity additive? Can you measure the turbidity of the water with no CYA reagent and then subtract that value from the test sample with CYA reagent.

It's crude but it might be better than nothing

I'm not sure that subtracting NTU from the Cya reading would be linear to the corresponding Cya level in the tube. Maybe someone else can answer this but I'm not sure I'd go with it. Nothing against this trial, but I'm about to stop holding out for good results with this product. Perhaps as much as anyone here, I was hoping to see a lot more. I just don't think it's going to work out on this however.

If the particles didn't interact, then it would be additive (on the logarithmic ppm scale), but I'll bet if you look at the tube with your pool water and not adding any melamine to it that you'll clearly see the black dot filling the water all the way to the top of the tube. The problem with turbidity is not that it directly changes the CYA turbidity test, but rather that it may contain particles that when combined with the melamine cyanurate precipitate form a more turbid mass that gives a falsely higher CYA reading.

It is definitely not turbid enough to hide the dot. (I have swam in some green lakes that would though!) I know the one time that I tried to measure CYA with turbidity similar to this, I got a higher reading, so I think chem geek is correct.

Today's result: zero reduction in CYA.

Recap: Through day 4 of test, CYA held steady at 190 ppm. Then water went cloudy, so I just let it go full swamp. Late on day 8 (Friday), I hit it with 50 grams of dichlor. Today (Monday) my chlorine was nearly down to zero and the water had almost fully cleared. CYA reading was still 190 ppm.

I'm done with this stuff for now, unless an opportunity to test in an actual outdoor pool presents itself.

Well, I concur with that. We do appreciate you sharing the results, and hope if you do try it that you'll share it with us. Very disappointed we haven't seen more, or heard from the Bioactive guys again either. None of this bodes well for them I'm afraid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.