Small Black Spots

tfp_fan

Oct 27, 2020
Houston, Texas
Today, I noticed small black spots in some areas of my plaster (please see the photos). I tested the water and here are the results:
FC = 1
pH = 8.2
TA = 80
CYA = 50
Based on the results, I know that the chlorine level is low and I need to add chlorine. I am wondering if the black spots are algea? Would you please give me some advice how to treat it? Do you recommend me to SLAM the pool? Is the SLAM target FC is 20 (I would like to know if the SLAM level is 20 in order to use my Pool Math app and calculate the required Bleach Chlorine to add to the pool).
Thank you.

IMG_7029.jpg

See if you can scrape up some of the black stuff with your fingernail. Wipe it on a piece of white paper. If it smears green, its most likely black algae:

DO an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if you have algae and need to follow the SLAM Process. Make sure you get your FC up to target level before the OCLT.

See if you can scrape up some of the black stuff with your fingernail. Wipe it on a piece of white paper. If it smears green, its most likely black algae:

DO an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if you have algae and need to follow the SLAM Process. Make sure you get your FC up to target level before the OCLT.
Thank you. I followed your instruction, scraped up some of the black stuff with my fingernail, and wiped it on a piece of white paper. It did smeared green. I am wondering if I should go for SLAM process? or if it still needs me to do an overnight chlorine loss test to make sure?

I followed your instruction, scraped up some of the black stuff with my fingernail, and wiped it on a piece of white paper. It did smeared green.
Probably black algae.

It also looks like some copper stains.

What ever happened with this?

img_1767-jpg.411531
img_1768-jpg.411532

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.