Small Black Spots - Pictures

Ok Update...

Bought some vitamin C tabs...We will be healthy for 396 more days....didnt work!

Scratched some of the spots I took pictures of..nothing. Then I found one that was a bit darker. MOST of the spots look almost a purplish black. Anyway, scratched that spot which looked like the plaster was lifted a little and...a bit of black/purple came off. It was a small spot so, what came off what just a fleck...of course, it just floated away.

Went all around the pool and noticed the purple/black spots on the walls also. A fair amount of them, however, you wouldn't be able to see them w/out goggles. I also noticed a few yellow spots as well as one pink. I tried rubbing them off...they didn't come off either.

As I said earlier, the weather here has been extremely hot plus, we had two horrible storms, one which had 70mph winds so...Lord knows what blew into the pool.

Not sure if its black algae but, with the one spot kinda under the plaster..enough for me to flake it off...I'm beginning to think it is.

Thoughts?

Oh, and the water is not cloudy at all!
Thanks~

The algae will not flake off. It would scrap off and feel slimy and look dark green.

Do you have a puck? try rubbing it on a spot and see if they fade.

Still might be good to talk to the plaster company.

The algae didnt flake off..the bit of plaster did then, the black/purple piece that was kinda under it came off. I tried to get it under my nail but, it was small. I scratched at the other ones, and nothing.

I do have pucks....wasn't sure if I should try that on the plaster since it's pretty new...think it would be alright?

The plaster company came out before this plaster job and told my husband the plaster "looked fine" even though the pool builder said it was below standard. Well, my husband basically kicked him off the property for manyyyyyy reasons one, he wanted to build a shop instead of a pool! (He doesn't get 'involved' with the pool so..it's my task!) This is the 3rd plaster job since we had the pool built three yrs ago.

Trust me, I wont get anywhere with them. Right now, I'm at the mercy of the people on here who know more than prob the plaster co as well as the pool builder (who is nationally known).

So the plaster flaked off? That does not sound right. Did the pool builder subcontract out for the plaster? Was it redone under warranty?

I would talk to builder and ask them what is going on ... assuming you want to maintain some kind of warranty.

It was like the black stuff was under the plaster kind of sticking out. Mind you, the spot was only MAYBE the size of two pencil heads. That spot was definitely darker than the ones I took pictures of. At first, I thought it was on top of the plaster but I dug in to scrape what I could (along with the top of my foot on the side of the pool holding me down!). As I used my nail, a little..I mean little..piece of plaster came off as well as a fleck of black. I tried a vitamin c tab on what was remaining and nothing.

They sure did sub contract. Not only that, they sent the same crew that plastered it the second time. I would LOVE to tell you about the builder and what we have gone through with them the last three years but, here isnt a good place!

Truthfully, I would just rather have black algae at this point than deal with them. I'm not sure what is in my pool but, it wasnt there 2 weeks ago. The only OTHER thing I can think of that I did different is, I ran out of algaecide 60 and used something I got from Walmart..I think its HTH..just until I got back to the pool store to get the alg. 60.

This does not sound like algae to me ... almost more of a contaminant in the plaster ???

The algaecide (which you now know you don't need) should have nothing to do with this.

Do you think that maybe when they mixed the plaster and used my hose..which is well water...caused it? I know the front hose is attached to a softener/conditioner but the back one isn't. The pool store said something about manganese, that its prevalent in our area, however, they also said there has been an increase in black algae in the last two weeks (and they said that black algae usually isn't one of the top algaes here).

Im so lost now. They want me to treat the pool tomorrow night and right now, I have no idea what to do. I have all the stuff to treat it, thats not the problem...I guess I just dont know what the problem is!

Is it Miller time??!

Sounds like Miller time to me :cheers:

Why does the pool store have any say over what you do to your pool? Of course they want you to treat it, that makes them money ... especially when it does not work and they move on to the next set of chemicals to try. Unfortunately, sounds like you already bought the stuff ... and I bet they will not take it back if you do not use it.

If none of the spots are slimy and green in your hands ... it is not algae. So all the chemicals would be a waste.

Can you get any close up underwater pictures that are clearer?

I tried to get as close as possible. The camera I have isnt waterproof...zoomed in as far as i could. Ill attach another one if I can crop it closer up. Its just weird that the spots pretty much settled in that one area. There are a lot more of the spots but they are scattered around here and there, again, I couldnt see them above the water. Something is there and something is making my chlorine out of whack. I went back to last years testing and the numbers were much better/even, using the same chemicals as I use now.

Ill crop the picture with the one I 'flaked' off. That one will be the darker spot to the right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bet that's flecks in the plaster and not black algae. Go ahead and hold a trichlor puck on one of them for a little while and see if it does anything.

I wouldn't treat the pool with anything until we've figured out what it is (or isn't).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.