SlimeBag for 1/10 of the price, yes you can!

For the past 3 years, I had problems with the very tiny particles making their way through the filter and back in to the pool. Even my automatic vacuum wouldn't pick it up.
This year, I decided I had to figure something out. My pool table only has the standard Intex inlet and outlet. So, I decided to take a knee high pantyhose and put it over my inlet and attached it with a zip tie. I change the pantyhose about every 2 weeks and it has made a lot of difference. I haven't even had to vacuum once yet this year.
Knee high pantyhose are pretty cheap, especially at the Dollar General store. The pack of 4 pair (8 singles) will last me the whole season for less than $5.
Just a suggestion for anyone is looking n a fixed budget like I am.

Hi, after reading this thread, I went to MacMaster and bought 1 bag.
This bag is the same size as the $60 SlimeBag that SlimeBag sells.
1. buy a bigger size, mine is 18 diameter, so you won't have a buble issue like someome has reported here.
2. the bag has to be big enough so it would not inhibit the pressure at the return.
3. and for the outlet of the pool, you need to buy the same outlet adapter that SilmeBag sells, on Amazon and the link is below. It fits perfectly, and it is only 6 bucks.
4. use a 2 inch stainless steel metal clamp

Yeap, this is what I use, for 2 days now, and have not seen any silt returning to the pool yet.
The bag is thick and is made fairly sturdy.
I wanted to try, since with the SlimeBag, there is no return, and evern if they take it back, I would feel bad about returning a dirty bag back to the seller.
So I bought this one, and if it does work, I will not loose that much money.
Will update in a week.
But foremost, thank you to the original poster for giving us the idea.
So far it SEEMS that it works FINE.
dan
ps: I will buy 2 more if everything works out.
I updated this post to say this that as of this morning day 3, Friday, no silt returning to the pool YET. What a relief.
I was considering changing out the pump, a variable speed one by B&D, for 1 thousand bucks, thinking that running longer would clean up the silt at the bottom of the pool, new OEM filter, etc....
So for now, I can stop on that project of buying more stuff.
Will update again after 10 days, on July 24.

Update July 28-2023
The bag that I bought was 5 micron, stock number 3520T57,

and it would not let any silt going through, which is wonderful, but it did reduce the pressure of the outlet, so the water in the pool got murky a little. I took the bag off and the water is clear again.
So at this point, I think that I either:
. attach the bag only when vacuuming
. buy a 10 micron, or 25 micron bag from McMaster-Carr
. or fork out close to a grand and just buy the Black and Decker VS 1.5 HP pump at let it run at low speed for like 8 hours a day.
What do you all think?
Ideas are very much welcomed.
Thank you
dan

LineProductOrderedShippedBalancePriceTotal
13520T57Tie-on Felt Filter Bag for Water for 3 Pipe, 18" Diameter, 32" High, 5 Microns1
Each
Each

Last edited:
This works perfectly for my Intex (I replace the sock each season):

I unscrewed the cover of the Intex 12355 Large Inlet Air Nozzle and took it to Home Depot in hopes of finding something that would screw on as a sock filter adapter. I ended up using two 3~5-in hose clamps to attach a 1-micron 7-in x 32-in Sock Filter Bag to a 4-in H x FPT female adapter which has compatible threads. For about $20, it is very effective at capturing what the sand filter cannot (it seems to work best with the aeration inlet capped so the sock filters more water and less air).

Update: The Pentek BP-420-1 Polypropylene 1 Micron, 4.5" x 20" filter has a plastic rim around the open end that can be trimmed easily to fit securely against the inner lip of the PVC adapter, eliminating the need for hose clamps!

ACtC-3fI1IbVcaj9pUzIn7fxmIoG6wXXReui8VweFV_3JgRZpIZ3DLxMG4hmHr27VCxqWPxuSJOc4o3Ls3-s3-2nG0JZSs6Ueu_DAelZwjAO7Rqk6Cocjl4nmM5CDVDvWggWb5U3Pg9QMlYQHewrKWiJKbpXmg=w1511-h1133-no

ACtC-3eeu5cc74316lXKa3npwyfuQfKsLux0z7hLZ5QCRJuyhClV2nTY17gA1_a7LDy0Q_nFI3Ngiq9UH3PIJWTKcND01RZ9nJCZ8zEY9-4jk9NZWM7JerN8zsFTrfpkeB8bc1smcsTLhRwlP-NI-GRC4CUQlw=w1511-h1133-no

ACtC-3c36Kq8NUPHQCfUxR072bZfEyLpb3MuVBu1Rss3U2QSu-Y1fvawYibQ7PviyFIs492NG4Dgp5IrYPXhSIDC92OwOG7jwvwx3iN1yHSVYsMDW9i2jfz4Y9PsCURnbf_2hfVFH9XW6vMqFG9Xiv7BneTvWA=w1511-h1133-no

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.