Slide or No Slide...that is the question.

I'm sure others will disagree but I have a slide for my above ground pool...it's an Sr Smith...my six year old and his friends love it...I go down it all the time..including head first and have never come close to hitting the bottom...I called my insurance company beforehand..state farm...and they said no problem at all....I was quite surprised and restated that it's an above ground pool....they said yep no problem...no increase in rates....

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Was it Jake? Jake from State Farm? :laughblue: Hehe. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll show myself out...:crazy:

When we redid our pool patio will pulled out the diving board at the urging of our Insurance agent who is State Farm, (not Jake ;-),) she said they wont cancel the policy with a board but who knows in the future? In a time were they may want the DNA of your dogs for your home owners why push it. We dont have kids, although my wife would debate that, so maybe it would be different if we did?

You will love it for 2 years, and then hate it for the next 20. The kids will grow tired of it, and then it will become one more thing you have to maintain.
If you take that approach, why have a pool in the first place?

but it can be removed in 5 years? right.

If it is a nominal cost, I suggest installing the plumbing. It's easier to do it now and never install the actual slide than to decide you want one later and find have to dig up the concrete. And yes you can remove anything you want if you so desire. For instance, my ladder is embedded right in the concrete sidewalk, but even then, it is not permanent. If I decide I no longer want my slide, I can take the footings out of the anchors and hack saw the ladder off at the base. then grind it down to the cement...or sledge the cement and re-pour that section. To me there seems to be more demolition options.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you take that approach, why have a pool in the first place?

If it is a nominal cost, I suggest installing the plumbing. It's easier to do it now and never install the actual slide than to decide you want one later and find have to dig up the concrete. And yes you can remove anything you want if you so desire. For instance, my ladder is embedded right in the concrete sidewalk, but even then, it is not permanent. If I decide I no longer want my slide, I can take the footings out of the anchors and hack saw the ladder off at the base. then grind it down to the cement...or sledge the cement and re-pour that section. To me there seems to be more demolition options.

I am having the plumbing installed.

The supply line for our slide has been broken and leaky as H-E-Double Hockey Sticks since we moved in. I can almost watch the water level drop when I open the gate valve for the slide plumbing. It never gets opened now. If the kids want to use the slide, they get a bucket or a squirt gun and get the slide wet themselves. Once they are all older than 8 years old, the slide will get taken out.

I am considering the SR Smith Typhoon. Does anyone have it?
Seems the most logic and safe for our set up. Plus doesn't eat up so much space.

As for width of deep end, we are good. Have a 35' x 20' pool.

Yes, we have one. Kids love it. I recommend it, but be sure to get some decent marine sealant to waterproof the top section where the water discharges. Ours leaked bad until I caulked the seam.

Starting the build yesterday...on our way. (Can't show pics since I reached my limit??!?)

Anyway, we have to decide on a slide so they can put the plumbing in the right spot. We wanted to wait till next year, but they my other half raised the question....do we really need one.
Do you have one? Is it used that much or take up too much space.
I do have a 3 year old...but then just us too. Also, this is a sport pool with 5 1/2' depth.

Thanks.

Congratulations on your new pool. This is an exciting time!

Hopefully I can give a different perspective....or at least a fairly unique one. We built an IG pool in the spring of 2010, but we sold the house at the end of 2013 (Some circumstances changed and we were able to find a suitable house where we needed to be). We decided not to wait (so the kids could still enjoy a pool while they're young), and had a new IG put in last spring.

With the first pool we decided not to put in a slide. This was largely a cost saving measure because we had saved for the pool and didn't want to borrow money...the slide seemed like a reasonable place to cut costs. As it turns out, my children...especially the oldest, love everything and anything about jumping into the pool. When we built the second one they were absolutely killing me with wanting a diving board. We decided that we missed the option with the last pool and we would try to do something special the second time around. We had built a 4' constant depth pool the first time and were pretty set on maintaining that on the second go around. We also didn't want the worries of a diving board, and I'm certain I'd use it about 5 times a year, so we chose to put in the slide.

This is our second season and the slide is almost always on and almost always occupied. In fact, I specifically chose a stronger, bigger slide just so my "not so petite" self could enjoy it. You know what.... I do! I can't guarantee all adults are going to get on it, but speaking for this 43yo, I like it a lot and I won't have a problem going down it well into my fifties!

I wouldn't hesitate to put one in again... although someone needs to shoot me if I get myself into a situation where I need to build a third pool!

I am considering the SR Smith Typhoon. Does anyone have it?
Seems the most logic and safe for our set up. Plus doesn't eat up so much space.

As for width of deep end, we are good. Have a 35' x 20' pool.

This is the slide we purchased. I couldn't be happier with it. I chose it because it looks nice, it's tall (increased thrill, plus I can walk under it), nice balance of twist/speed, and the material it's made of made me feel confident it would last for a long time. We bought ours off of Amazon. The PB plumbed the line, but really didn't want any part of installing it, so I did that myself. The only real issue was I had to special order some 10" galvanized anchors to get the bolts below the concrete (that's below the pavers). Other than not having the right equipment to start, it wasn't that difficult.

The slide is really nice. It's 8' in the air with a slight twist...it really shoots you into the water fast. Our depth is 4'...maybe a couple inches over that actually, and we've had no issues at all. I do place a lot of rules on the kids as to how they are allowed to go down, but they seem to understand and have a blast on it.

Attachments

• 20150818 Slide closeup.jpg
    20150818 Slide closeup.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 183
There are two of these at a commercial pool we used to belong to. They received tremendous usage there and held up well over the few years I saw them. Probably equivalent to a lifetime (or 3) of residential use. We thought about it but ended up with a diving board. Tried to work both into the equation but the logistics didn't work for me.

We had our pool installed in 2011 when I was 7 months pregnant and at the time were not certain whether we wanted to put in a slide so had the PB install the plumbing for one - easier and cheaper now than later. Fast forward 4 years and our little guy has been a slide fanatic for 3 years and this past summer was the right time for a slide.

Our in-ground fiberglass pool is 5'8" at its deepest and we have limited deck space. In addition we have a SWG and discovered through our research most pool slides have metal rails which of course are not saltwater friendly. I found SR Smith makes the widest range of saltwater-friendly slides and WOW they looked awesome! Given our aforementioned constraints, we chose the SR Smith Typhoon because it fit our space and only needs 4' of water or so.....I ordered from Amazon as Prime member paid no shipping and saved quite a bit going that route. We could have installed ourselves but I'm handier than my husband so had the PB install the slide. They charged us a whopping $95 and brought their own tools and anchor bolts (or whatever they're called) and had it up in one hour.

Our slide is installed to shoot you out in 4' of water and is safe as it shoots you out at such an angle that there is no risk of hitting bottom. Our much taller and heavier adult bodies also enjoy the wild ride and also have never hit bottom. I believe the max weight for the slide is 350 lbs so not only can our son enjoy for a lifetime, safe to say we can as well!

With regard for the insurance issue, we have no issues there.

It seems most negative comments in this thread come from those who do not have one. I for one have no regrets and know that it has provided so much fun for the whole family and will continue to do so for quite some time. In my experience if you want a slide you won't regret it. The SR Smith Typhoon is SOLID and FUN!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.