Slamming

Royer4

May 26, 2020
Harrisburg, PA
I am a bit confused about target levels when slamming the pool.
When I turn on the slam button, it says my slam target is 24 and I should add 7 gallons, 1 qt. based on my pool readings. My chlorination is off, pool is running, and it is raining lightly all day today. When do I check to see if the chlorine level has reached 24? And when I check the chlorine level and enter that in the log, do I turn on the slam button again, and then get a new slam target? When I did that last year, my slam target kept getting higher until my chlorine level ended up at around high 30’s, which seemed ridiculously high, and took forever to return to a safe swimming level.
2nd question… If, after testing chlorine either later today or tonight, and it is not 24, do I add the required amount from the new slam target tonight, or tomorrow during the day? Tomorrow it is supposed to be sunny, so do I wait until tomorrow night?
FYI - PH - 7.2, CYA 70, CC 1

Thank you in advance for your help.

When do I check to see if the chlorine level has reached 24?
Test the FC as often as needed or as practical as you can based on your daily schedule to try and maintain the proper FC level based on your current CYA. Hopefully the chart below is easier (visually) to understand.

full

Poolmath displays the slam level target based on what you have entered as your cya level.
It would match the values on the chart Tex posted above.
If your cya level doesn’t change your slam fc target will not change either.
Your necessary amount of liquid chlorine needed to reach that slam level target may change depending upon what level fc you are starting with.

In poolmath your last cya log is 60 -
slam level for 60 is 24ppm fc
In your post you stated that your cya is 70- slam level for 70 is 28ppm fc

Reactions: Newdude