SLAMMing

It's really not efficient is the biggest thing. Kind of like a pool service weekly visit. You would be wasting more chlorine as well. The elevated FC level would also skew your pH reading. Best to stay consistent unless you can't be home for an extended period due to work or vacation. Something like that.

It's really not efficient is the biggest thing. Kind of like a pool service weekly visit. You would be wasting more chlorine as well. The elevated FC level would also skew your pH reading. Best to stay consistent unless you can't be home for an extended period due to work or vacation. Something like that.
Thanks for the information. I've been told by more than one expert on this website that swimming at SLAM levels is perfectly safe. Are you saying that I am wasting chlorine because the higher concentration of chlorine will speed up the reaction, using it up more quickly?

Also, during late spring and summer, I have found that to stay above the FC min I have to add chlorine every three or four days, even when adding to SLAM levels.

While safety may not be an issue, adding chlorine day every 3-4 days requires that your FC level ride on the higher end of the FC-to-CYA ratio. The higher the FC over the CYA the more susceptible it is to the sun's UV rays because they're is less stabilizer for the FC to bind to. That's one reason why we have to add chlorine more frequently during a SLAM. This can also be a problem for some pools that have intense heat and require 3-4 ppm of chlorine per day, so someone in that position may need to add 12-14 ppm of chlorine until the next dose. Again, not impossible, just not ideal. A classic example of when this cannot be avoided is say a shift worker like a firefighter who works 3 or 4 days straight. Or perhaps someone who will be on vacation away from the home for a few days.

Right. Which brings me to another mystery I've always wondered about. How do all these pool guys maintain FC levels if they only visit a pool once a week? In Southern California, I have to add chlorine every day or every other day to follow the TFP method (without SLAMMING).

How do all these pool guys maintain FC levels if they only visit a pool once a week?
They basically got it hard with liquid and/or truly in tabs which in short time make the CYA to high.

Before my SWG, I added liquid chlorine every evening like clockwork after work when I cleaned out the skimmer.

Reactions: KevinL
Which brings me to another mystery I've always wondered about. How do all these pool guys maintain FC levels if they only visit a pool once a week?
They.

Don't.

(y)

It's called dump and pray. Spike the bejeezus out of it and pray there's any left next week. Chlorine burns off as a % which is mostly unnoticeable close to target range but becomes really noticeable in the 20s. *solely for example* a 28 FC may lose 8 the first day, 6 the 2nd day, 4 the 3rd day and then return near a normal loss for that point in the season.

If they use tabs to help later in the week, then the CYA gets jacked and they need higher FC targets.

SLAM sucks for SWG folks because so much is lost to the sun, on top of the algae battle. It's the sole reason liquid chlorine folks don't want higher CYAs for more FC protection. Because if they goof, it's going to hurt to fix it.

Reactions: KevinL