Silver Supporter
May 1, 2016
Hopkinton, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We just installed the salt water generator this summer, so I'm not sure what to do.

Usually we pour a bunch of chlorine to slam, and that is it- so what do I need to do to slam the SWG?

Our cell can be removed, so should we store it in the house over the winter?

Add CL as you normally would for the closing.

I don’t remove my SWG for the winter. Just blow the water out.

Do you mean to add salt? Since the startup of the SWG, I have not had to do anything to the pool the whole season.
Should I run the SWG on the highest output to raise the CL levels?

I remove mine too and cap off the lines. I’m in NJ and not sure that my Pentair cell is substantial enough to bear the snow and ice of winter up here

We just installed the salt water generator this summer, so I'm not sure what to do.

Usually we pour a bunch of chlorine to slam, and that is it- so what do I need to do to slam the SWG?

Our cell can be removed, so should we store it in the house over the winter?

Once the water gets too cold for the SWG to operate you will be adding bleach anyway.

I shutdown the SWG, then raise the FC to SLAM level per my CYA, holding it there for 48-72 hours before I close the pool.

Once the water gets too cold for the SWG to operate you will be adding bleach anyway.

I shutdown the SWG, then raise the FC to SLAM level per my CYA, holding it there for 48-72 hours before I close the pool.

At what temperature does the SWG stop working?

Thinking of closing this weekend, but the weather has been pretty warm lately (MASSACHUSETTS)..
Just don't want to mess up the SWG.. you know?
And for slamming, we really put the bleach in? Not just turn up the SWG?

Most SWCG's stop producing at ~55F water temperature. You will not harm the SWCG if it is on at that point.

You do use bleach / liquid chlorine to raise your FC. The SWCG is not designed to raise your FC by a large amount in a short time.

It is best to wait until your pool water is consistently at or below 60F before you close.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.