SLAMmin' and Jammin'

May 7th

Ok, so here's my dilemma. I'll get home from work tonight about 4pm, and amazingly I don't have anything going on (no baseball practice, no dance, ect!). I've got a box of DE that's itchin' to get into my filter! I'm hoping to give my filter a deep cleaning when I get home. So, here's my questions:

1. Do you think my pool is past the phase of killing the algae and I'm mostly just waiting for my sand filter to clear it (judging by my photo progressions)? Is now a good time?
2. Is an evening long enough to watch the filter to make sure it doesn't clog up?

In your last pics the first one looks better. Was it the latest? Curious, but either way you are probably close enough for DE if you can watch it. You may plug off pretty fast, or at least noticeably so....so keep a sharp eye on it.

Whatever you do, don't slip below SLAM value yet. You aren't close enough to risk that.

Pool is looking great! I would say if your numbers are holding better that algae is likely gone. You can do DE in an evening, but I would backwash before going to bed. Don't do a deep clean on the sand filter as it catches more when the sand is dirty.

In your last pics the first one looks better. Was it the latest? Curious, but either way you are probably close enough for DE if you can watch it. You may plug off pretty fast, or at least noticeably so....so keep a sharp eye on it.

Whatever you do, don't slip below SLAM value yet. You aren't close enough to risk that.

I assume you're talking about the pics I posted this morning? They were both taken this morning before I came to work.

Pool is looking great! I would say if your numbers are holding better that algae is likely gone. You can do DE in an evening, but I would backwash before going to bed. Don't do a deep clean on the sand filter as it catches more when the sand is dirty.

My FC was 15 last night at 9pm (shock level of 12). I added about 30oz of bleach to raise my FC to 20.5(ish), as it's been dropping around 6ppm overnight, and I didn't want to go below shock. I went to bed, and didn't retest to see how high it actually got.
This morning FC was 17. Basically an OCLT although not really trying.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've got a couple things:

1st my filter runs clean at about 10psi, right at the top edge of the green indicator on my gauge. 11psi starts the yellow area. When the pressure in my filter hits 11 I dramatically lose flow out the return. I added the DE yesterday afternoon, and monitored the pressure. As expected the 1 psi increase from adding the DE sent it into the yellow and greatly restricted flow. Since I knew it was due to the DE I allowed it to run that way for 30 mins to 1hr while monitoring the pressure.At which time the pressure had gone up to 11.5-12psi. So, is DE just not in the cards for my filter? or do you think a deep cleaning would lower the pressure?

2nd, I back washed two times last night. Both times after I did so, then rinsed, and put it back to filter a stream of tan(ish) brown came shooting out my return for about 5 seconds or so. I never see anything coming out when I'm just running filter mode...
I know this isn't normal, but I don't know what it could be either...

Sorry, Lisa is onto something. You should not have stuff shooting out. Did you BW and rinse well? If it keeps doing it, deep clean it. I rushed my answer and skimmed right over the junk shooting out. Sorry about that.

I'm not too terribly concerned about something being broken. It's obviously still filtering. I'll probably try to deep clean it this weekend, and see if that helps. If something is broken, then I'll probably just deal with it this summer and fix it when I close the pool. Since it only happens after I back wash/rinse. Theoretically, if I keep my pool all sparkling then I won't need to back wash very often!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.