mnhim001

Jun 4, 2021
San Dimas, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am going open up my pool for the season, and will be slaming it. During the off season, it has rained, overflowed, I basically did not take care of it at all. I wanted to ask if I should clean my DE filters before SLAMing or just SLAM and then clean the DE filters?

What's your recommendation?

When was the last time it was cleaned?
What was the clean filter pressure and what is the filter pressure now.

It may be best to backwash and recharge the filter now - and during the SLAM Process anytime the filter pressure is about 25% above clean pressure.
And after your SLAM Process is fully complete, do a full filter teardown to get all remnants of algae and dirt out. This way, you start the actual swim season off with a totally clean filter.

In San Dimas, you shouldn't be closing the pool for the winter - just keep it open, vacuumed and balanced. In the winter, it takes very little time, effort or chemicals to do so.
You've had a lot of rain in SoCal this winter. You really need to drain water off well before the pool overflows.

Post a full set of current test results from your TF-100 and we can go from there.

When was the last time it was cleaned?
What was the clean filter pressure and what is the filter pressure now.

It may be best to backwash and recharge the filter now - and during the SLAM Process anytime the filter pressure is about 25% above clean pressure.
And after your SLAM Process is fully complete, do a full filter teardown to get all remnants of algae and dirt out. This way, you start the actual swim season off with a totally clean filter.

In San Dimas, you shouldn't be closing the pool for the winter - just keep it open, vacuumed and balanced. In the winter, it takes very little time, effort or chemicals to do so.
You've had a lot of rain in SoCal this winter. You really need to drain water off well before the pool overflows.

Post a full set of current test results from your TF-100 and we can go from there.
It was probably last cleaned in November. I think my pool filter is at around 25psi, I'd have to check. I haven't done any test yet because I waiting mid April or May to start SLAMing, when the water gets a little bit more warmer.

The pool wasn't closed, just wasn't used for the winter. Since it wasn't used, I stopped adding liquid chlorine, but still ran the pump, brushed and vacuumed. I also did a backwash about a week ago. But I want to start the summer season with a clean filter, and just wonder if its best to clean the filter first them SLAM or SLAM then clean the filter.

In all honesty, it would probably take less chlorine and way less effort/time to add chlorine all winter. Maybe something to consider for next winter.

You will most likely be backwashing/recharging the filter a good number of times during the SLAM Process. Once the SLAM is complete, open the filter and do a thorough cleaning.

In all honesty, it would probably take less chlorine and way less effort/time to add chlorine all winter. Maybe something to consider for next winter.

You will most likely be backwashing/recharging the filter a good number of times during the SLAM Process. Once the SLAM is complete, open the filter and do a thorough cleaning.
Thanks for the advice. Going to start in a couple of weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.