Jun 1, 2023
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Howdy everyone,

I'm new to TFP and I have to say I wish I had found out about y'all much earlier. We built a 30' round above ground pool last September so didn't get much time to use it before closing.

And by closing, I mean I stopped looking at the pool until April of this year and left the pump off.

So of course, came back to the pool this year, dark green, big mess. I spent a lot of money, bought a lot of unnecessary things, just wasted time in general.

Eventually I got the pool mostly clean, or so I thought. Although the pool looked clean and clear, there was some left over algae that was and is growing back. I'm using 10% liquid chlorine for the SLAM process. So I'm currently in my third day of SLAMing. Here are my numbers as of this morning:

FC: 11
CC: 1
PH: Not checking during SLAM
TA: 130
CH: 260
CYA: 30

I've added the suggested amount of chlorine to get back to 12 since this check but haven't checked again, going to do so again shortly. Last night, my FC was 15 and my CC was 0.5.

Couple things about CYA, I was originally testing at Leslie's before I bought the TF-PRO. Don't shoot me. But my original reading from them was 9. So I added 4 pounds of Pool Mate 1-2604B Swimming Pool Stabilizer and Conditioner, added that to a sock, soaked it in the skimmer for 30 minutes, then released it on recirculate through the pump. Was still super low, below the 30ppm reading, so I added 1 gallon of Liquid Stabilizer, was reading around 30, then another gallon of Liquid Stabilizer, and I'm still reading around 30. I followed the directions which for the liquid stabilizer, says that 1 gallon should treat 32ppm for 10k gallons. For my size pool, 2 gallons should raise it roughly 30ppm but it's still really low. Am I doing something wrong here or what am I missing?

In regards to PH, once I'm done SLAMing, should I use muriatic acid to bring the PH back down, or will it come down naturally once I get my FC to 4?

Also, my TA is 130, is that acceptable? If I do use muriatic acid after the SLAM, that should bring my TA down too so that seems like the correct route.

All that being said, my pool has never looked better. There always seemed to be a dullness on the top layer of the water that's been removed and it really does sparkle now. My wife can't wait to get in the pool but I told her that her skin may melt off if she gets in during the SLAM so that's definitely helped keep it closed the last few days. Appreciate the help! I think I have a couple other questions but the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Oh and a more general question. Do we still shock the pool once a week or should I just add enough chlorine daily to maintain an FC of 4 and a CC of 1 or less?

For future reference, please see the following two notes about CYA to see if that helps.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After soaking for about 20-30 minutes, squeeze the sock often to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Use the mixing bottle to gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Recommend standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body at waist level. Then, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. To help the eyes and prevent staring at the dot, some people find it better to pour & view in stages. Pour some solution into the viewing tube, look away, then look back again for the dot. Repeat as necessary until you feel the dot is gone. After the first CYA test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, gently shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate your own CYA reading. Finally, if you still doubt your own reading, have a friend do the test with you and compare results.

In regards to PH, once I'm done SLAMing, should I use muriatic acid to bring the PH back down, or will it come down naturally once I get my FC to 4?
Muriatic acid. But be sure to not let the FC fall too low. Always go back to the FC/CYA Levels. If your pool gets full sun, don't be surprised if you need a summertime CYA of at least 50, perhaps even 60 to protect the FC.

my TA is 130, is that acceptable?
It's a bit elevated. When you add acid for the pH, use enough acid to lower the pH to 7.2, then let it rise to 8.0 and repeat with acid. Each time you do that it should lower the TA a bit. Let the TA fall down anywhere between 50-80.

Do we still shock the pool once a week or should I just add enough chlorine daily to maintain an FC of 4 and a CC of 1 or less?
No weekly shocking. Just keep the FC in range as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.