SLAM with solar heater panels - clear pool, high chlorine consumption

Surf Hawk

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 13, 2013
Santa Barbara, CA
Howdy, I posted last spring about the best way to re-start my solar heater for the season, as I usually get a bad yellow algae outbreak after doing so. Thanks to the pre-SLAMing tip I thought I nailed it this year, however although the pool is crystal clear, I've had two filter cleans and am using a lot more chlorine than usual. I just started a proper SLAM this weekend, and it is taking about 4 gallons a day to keep at 14ppm even though I am "passing" OCLT.

I think my problem is the gunk that is eating chlorine is in the solar panels, because I've been cheating and only running the pump (and solar) sunrise to sunset. So in the morning I pass OCLT because nothing was running through the solar panels, then once I start the pump/solar in the morning the levels take a major dive as water circulates through the solar panels and I have to keep topping off chlorine.

Question 1: Am I destined to fail with my cheating SLAM and need to buck up and run my pump/solar 24hrs? I am hesitant because I don't want to cool the pool down running solar at night and thought the super-chlorinated water sitting in the panels at night would still work. Would cheating take twice as long but use about the same amount of chlorine, or expontentially longer and more chlorine?

Question 2: I searched a lot of threads about clear pools and high chlorine usuage, and a lot of people are looking and finding algae in nooks and crannies they need to remove to finally get the chlorine usuage to return to normal. Can algae grow in rooftop solar panels and since you can't mechanically scrub off the film so the chlorine can get to work, what does one do?

Recent OCLT test:
Last night: 14.5
This morning: 15.0
2 hrs later with pump/solar running: 11.5

Values
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.6
TA: 70
CYA: 35
Temp: 85°

Question 1: Am I destined to fail with my cheating SLAM and need to buck up and run my pump/solar 24hrs? I am hesitant because I don't want to cool the pool down running solar at night and thought the super-chlorinated water sitting in the panels at night would still work. Would cheating take twice as long but use about the same amount of chlorine, or expontentially longer and more chlorine?
Algae goes fast. It is likely that the algae inside your solar panel grow overnight. It will definitely take more chlorine because you will have more algae to kill and because you normal Chlorine loss will be bigger due to higher chlorine levels.

Thanks I'm going for it, may as well pull the band aid. I don't want the algae in the solar panels to have the FC fall below my SLAM level while I'm sleeping so added another gallon and will will re-test tonight to compare to the morning.

Ran the pump/solar all night and my test results this morning were 1.5ppm higher than last night, so I may have tested too soon after adding another gallon
8:30pm last night: 20.5 (added last gallon at 7:30pm)
6:30am this morning: 22.0 (then added another gallon and left for the day)
5:30pm this evening: 18.5

This is about 0.8ppm/hour today considering the 5.4ppm bump from the gallon I added this morning. Solar cover was on, no usuage.
Debating adding another gallon to keep this at mustard algae level another night, or not touching it and seeing if I pass OCLT tonight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.