SLAM Success

allblknblue

Mar 30, 2024
California
Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and TFP, in general. We just bought our house, with a pool, in September and moved in in January. It wasn't in horrible condition but definitely needed some pool chemistry balancing when we bought it. Since we weren't living there for a few months, my dad volunteered to get it cleaned up as a house warming present because he has a spa and a basic knowledge of pool chemistry. Well, he used like 5 different products and I was wondering why I couldn't keep any chlorine in the pool. I got a good testing kit and found our CYA to be extremely high (over 100) and then we weren't sure if we wanted to replaster it or not so I lapsed in doing anything to it. Well, of course, it quickly turned green. So I downloaded the Pool Math app and read some articles here and bought a Crud ton of liquid chlorine (34 bottles worth). I dumped 16 in and as of this weekend we appear to have no overnight FC loss. Yay! I attached some before and after pictures for fun (the process was started on 4/1). It's amazing how successful we were without buying a bunch of stuff.

I do have one small question, does anyone have any recommendations on getting the CYA down? I know it can only be done by removing the water so wasn't sure if anyone had some creative ideas for removing it slowly and maybe repurposing it? When my chlorine was 0 I had taken some bucket fulls and watered the plants (I know it's a very very small amount but it was better than nothing if I just wait for splash out), but now that there is chlorine I don't want my plants to get that. Just was curious to see what idea some of you may have tried!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1000001402.png
    1000001402.png
    397 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20240421_002528639.jpg
    PXL_20240421_002528639.jpg
    635.2 KB · Views: 10