SLAM help

shacke

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
Philadelphia
I was going to ask a SLAM question too so will tack it on here.

I have SLAMed in the past but usually mid season and it takes about 4-5 days.

This year, I am SLAMing after opening and I am up to well over a week with a CC of 1.5 still. The water is so clear but I know the criteria. I am well over the SLAM level of FC for my CYA.

My hunch is that I have more leftover organics in the water over the winter still sitting there even though the water is clear enough to read a book sitting on the bottom. I am fully backwashed, brushed and vacuuming.

Is my hunch correct or could I be missing something?

Thanks

If you arent covered, It sounds as though the water has been sterilized but algae is hiding in plain sight, being reintroduced and promptly killed by SLAM levels. (As evidenced by your CCs).

Scour every inch until you get your AHA moment.
I am well over the SLAM level of FC for my CYA.
Don't go too crazy. SLAM was calculated for effectiveness and anything over loses said efficiency. It's one thing to overshoot on occasion but if it's routine, you're donating costly chlorine to the sun.

If you arent covered, It sounds as though the water has been sterilized but algae is hiding in plain sight, being reintroduced and promptly killed by SLAM levels. (As evidenced by your CCs).

Scour every inch until you get your AHA moment.

Don't go too crazy. SLAM was calculated for effectiveness and anything over loses said efficiency. It's one thing to overshoot on occasion but if it's routine, you're donating costly chlorine to the sun.

Ok that is good to know. I will keep at it. Not sure where it is hiding but it has to stop some time! :)

The only other variable with this early season SLAM is I accidentally dumped DE in when in backwash mode. It's been a few backwashes since then but I don't THINK that could be a lingering cause of poor filtration - especially since the water is very clear?

If you have a DE filter and backwash, it will come out & need to be added back after every backwash. With my previous DE filter after backwash, I would add back 3-4 cups depending on how long I backwashed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.