Skippy's New Fountain

My Polaris wall port is not valved and has a small amount of flow without the pump running. Are you running your booster pump to create the fountain?

I don't have a booster pump. I have 3 returns, two in the stairs and that one on the side that is set up for the fountain using a Polaris outlet. I have valves that control the returns so we can increase/decrease the water pressure where we want.

Just thought I would let you know that I made one of these for my pool. It's threaded and the pattern is different as I didn't want to drill that many holes, but it works beautifully! My boy likes to sit on the deck and turn the top to spray people that are in the pool!

LOL, yeah I can imagine that might be kinda fun :) I'll let Skippy know you like his fountain.

Yip :flower:

I love it! And I think I've already got enough PVC pipe and fittings laying around the shop to put one together. Thanks for the idea.

apologies for the thread bump but I had this earmarked as a DIY project for our first swim season in TX. anyone experiment with various sizes of PVC to see if it might increase the flow/height? I've got 1.5" coming from the pool returns and then tee'ed into one section with 3/4" and the other side with 1/2" for the 2 spray ends and doesn't appear to be a huge difference between the 2 sides when spraying.. pump running at 2000 rpm doesn't give much height unless I put my hand over one of the other returns and while I can bump the speed up to like 3300 rpm for a couple of hours over night to cool things off I'd like to see if I could do so without running the pump at that high of a speed. Suppose I could plug up 1-2 of the other returns but I'd just assume not have to swap out 2-3 pieces each time I do this. or I could stick a valve at each return at the pad and shut them on/off that way but seems like a larger undertaking.

thinking that reducing from 1.5" to say 3/4" for the 'main' branch might give me more pressure through each of the sprayers and might result in more height/flow? but then I won't be getting as much water through the system which might limit me as well.. thoughts? plan on tinkering with it this weekend but wanted to see if anyone had any initial thoughts..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A dumb question.
Our pool water here in Miami is a bit hot, and I came across this thread. The pool has a water feature with 3 spouts that shout out fairly straight. Can I use that to cool the water? Or does the water spray have to be spread out (like with skippy's fountain) to be effective? I am aware that using my water feature will raise ph.

If you leave a bowl of water in the open it will eventually disappear due to evaporation and lose heat whilst it's doing it.
The evaporation process only takes place at the surface (or water/air interface) and takes energy from the water to turn it in to water vapour. The vapour is then free to join the rest of the water vapour in the air and carry off that vapour and the energy (heat) it contains thus reducing the energy left in the water (dropping the temperature).
Things that have a major effect on the speed of evaporation is temperatures, surface area , relative wind speed and humidity. So by squirting water through nozzles/holes to make fine droplets you are hitting two of these parameters.. You are maximising the surface area of the water and using some of the energy from the pump to accelerate the droplets and thus increase the relative wind speed.
As for night verses day. Humidity (or more importantly relative humidity) is a governing factor. The hotter air is, the more water it can hold before you reach dew point and the stuff starts to condensate back out. As the air temperature drops over night you will reach a point where the air can take no more water and thus the cooling process of evaporation stops and you may even see a mist on the surface of the water where the water vapour is converting back to liquid and condensing out.
So night time cooling will only work if there is not a mist of condensate. I hope this very simplified explanation of what's going on helps........

The first person to work out how to cool a pool over there by transferring the energy to my pool over here will be a hero (maybe some sort of quantum entanglement ?) :) .
I wonder if I start selling pool coolers over here in the UK if I would actually sell a single one ? I've certainly never been anywhere near needing a cooler...

So we had this wall outlet for our old pressure side Polaris to "click" into it. Now we have a robot which runs independently. Wanting a new cooling fountain, Skippy built one up using another Polaris wall fitting so now we're using the fountain or just allowing the line to be another "return" in the wall. The only parts not glued together are the polaris end to the PVC end, just in case we want to alter something down the road. In total cost less than $20 (mostly for the Polaris parts) and works a charm! Pool temp dropped like 5 degrees in 24 hours. I am proud of Skippy :batman:

View attachment 129527View attachment 129528

View attachment 129530
Hi Are you selling these?

Haha...not surprised to see this thread revive in the Summer of heck! Our pool is the same temperature as our spa. Our chiller can't even keep up so I'm pondering adding something like this to the mix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.