Skimmer sweep

hyperionguy

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2012
Houston, TX
In the past, I had an Intex where I installed the Hayward skimmer. That was several years ago. This weekend we got a Funsicle with a built in skimmer. It's the same as the summer waves pools. A round skimmer opening.

A lot of the small spring tree junk isn't getting sucked in that great. I fiddled with the output nozzle to point more downward to slow down the rotation a bit, but didn't help much.

Instead of paying 30-40 bucks for a little arm sticking out, which has some not so great reviews and may not connect well in a round opening, I went another route.

I took an extra pool noodle and attached fishing line to each end, then put vinyl coated spring clips on the other end of the lines and clipped them inside the skimmer and to the pool liner. Now the surface is perfectly clean in no time! And to swim, just unclip and set aside.

It's version 1.0 that I just started today. Likely I will change it, but thought I'd share.

Attachments

• 20230502_162104.jpg
    20230502_162104.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude and kimkats
I've found with my pump running on low and the return eye aimed way down the water moves slow enough the skimmer does very well all on it's own. Haven't found a need for any attachments.

Now, if I aim the eye more upward and at more of an angle, the water gets moving so fast most stuff blows by the skimmer.

CJ, I didn't have this issue when i had an Intex with the Hayward skimmer and more powerful pump. That was a square skimmer opening and 1,600 GPH pump whereas this pool has a round skimmer opening and 1,000 GPH. The bummer about a round opening is that when the water level goes much past 1/2 way up, the inches of skimmed water line decreases a lot. So the tug on surface debris isn't as great.

I've had the pool less than a week, so needless to say I will be piddling with it more.

CJ, I didn't have this issue when i had an Intex with the Hayward skimmer and more powerful pump. That was a square skimmer opening and 1,600 GPH pump whereas this pool has a round skimmer opening and 1,000 GPH. The bummer about a round opening is that when the water level goes much past 1/2 way up, the inches of skimmed water line decreases a lot. So the tug on surface debris isn't as great.

I've had the pool less than a week, so needless to say I will be piddling with it more.

Ah I'm sorry I assumed it was a normal skimmer.
Back when I had an Intex pool I used the Intex round skimmer and honestly, it worked really good. I'd say better than any inwall skimmer.

Of course, it's large cheap bracket slowly split so it wouldn't hold it on the rail correctly, but aside from that I liked the design.

I guess the main downside to it is it's out in the pool, but at the same time, it's a benefit as far as functionality.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.