Skimmer replacement or not

Nov 25, 2013
Hi, I am in the middle of liner replacement (a raccoon fell into the pool and tore our 13-year-old liner to shreds). As part of that, I am repairing the bottom with Pool-Krete, and I will be grinding the rust off of the pool walls and coating with a cold galvanizing compound.

One issue is that I have apparently had a long slow leak around the skimmer opening. I do not believe the previous installer replaced the butterfly gasket that covers the steel pool wall. Also, there was some rubberlike sealant used to form another gasket between the butterfly gasket and the skimmer. I have been picking this out, but I am concerned about the ability to fully seal around the opening, given the small gap. The skimmer does not leak outside of this, but it is the original skimmer and is approximately 35 years old.

Should I go through the extra effort to replace the skimmer? I would have to cut out the concrete and dig it up, so not the most pleasant work. Would anyone chance just filling that gap between the butterfly gasket and the skimmer with sealant? Thanks!

PXL_20230514_201508703.jpg
PXL_20230514_201503582.jpg

I would do it. I know it will add a bit, quite a bit, of work to your plate but...............Best get it done now instead of HAVING to do it after you put in the new liner. You can see the damage done by it not being done right the first time best to make it right this time.

Your pool walls look in really good shape. Better than mine when I replaced my liner and skimmers. It's easy for me to say replace the skimmer but I'm not the one doing the work and it's not my pool. I can also see leaving the skimmer and not opening a can of worms. If there is a way to get a new gasket in and or seal the edge of the pool wall well I might go this route. If you can treat the wall where the butteryfly gasket is (rust converter and zinc paint) and get a new butteryfly gasket installed I would be content. Cleaning between the skimmer and pool wall isn't going to be fun. I'm not sure tools to use other than a carbide tipped scraper and a vacuum and compressed air to clean it up.

Replacing the skimmer isn't very difficult, but it's not couple hour job either, mainly a good amount of physical labor and contorting yourself. I would say the biggest challenge you will have is connecting the plumbing line. Also keep your fingers crossed that fill/soil around the skimmer holds it shape or it will keep caving in or you will have a much larger hole.

I'd weight the options on replacing the skimmer now vs later. Do you plan to be the owner when the liner is to be replaced again? Are you happy with the deckng around the pool or having plans to change it eventually? Are then any other pool reno items you may need to adress between now the next liner replacement?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.