Eastern MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have a plaster pool 28,000 gallons. One of my skimmers has about .5-1 inch crack at the very top where it joins the top piece and is 1-2 inches long.

I don’t have a picture of it as I my pool is not open yet which I am going to open this weekend.

I need to get the deck replaced and the skimmer will also be replaced and I am planning to do it within the year so I realize this is a temporary fix.

In the meantime I am planning to patch it with two part epoxy but but since it is fairly big should I put any of foam backing that would be used when fixing mastic joints behind it or can I just use tge epoxy over it(or should I use silicone)?

Given the space I just want to see if it is needed with the epoxy as I never worked with the epoxy before or would the foam just fall through the crack and get in the way.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have a plaster pool 28,000 gallons. One of my skimmers has about .5-1 inch crack at the very top where it joins the top piece and is 1-2 inches long.

I don’t have a picture of it as I my pool is not open yet which I am going to open this weekend.

I need to get the deck replaced and the skimmer will also be replaced and I am planning to do it within the year so I realize this is a temporary fix.

In the meantime I am planning to patch it with two part epoxy but but since it is fairly big should I put any of foam backing that would be used when fixing mastic joints behind it or can I just use tge epoxy over it(or should I use silicone)?

Given the space I just want to see if it is needed with the epoxy as I never worked with the epoxy before or would the foam just fall through the crack and get in the way.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Without seeing the situation its hard to tell. Pool Noodles make great filler material, they're basically the same material as backer rod/foam/etc. Cut a piece slightly larger than opening, force it into the crack slightly below the surface, and put the epoxy over it. Or, as it is just to give support while the epoxy sets, newspaper (yeah, what's a newspaper), a plastic shopping bag, anything that will fill the opening will work.
You want to use something like Pool Putty that, when mixed, is more like clay than a liquid. The single-tube one that is available at Home Depot would work well. It has the hardener and resin in one roll. Cut off what you need, mix it by rolling in your had and apply.
pc-products-epoxy-adhesives-041116-64_300.jpg

Reactions: Mdragger88
Without seeing the situation its hard to tell. Pool Noodles make great filler material, they're basically the same material as backer rod/foam/etc. Cut a piece slightly larger than opening, force it into the crack slightly below the surface, and put the epoxy over it. Or, as it is just to give support while the epoxy sets, newspaper (yeah, what's a newspaper), a plastic shopping bag, anything that will fill the opening will work.
You want to use something like Pool Putty that, when mixed, is more like clay than a liquid. The single-tube one that is available at Home Depot would work well. It has the hardener and resin in one roll. Cut off what you need, mix it by rolling in your had and apply.
pc-products-epoxy-adhesives-041116-64_300.jpg

Will do, I thought it might help but just wanted to check it see if it was a no -no. I actually bought some epoxy last year but never got around to doing .

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.