Skimmer Plumbing

Dieffenbach

Apr 21, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
Good afternoon TFP,
Apologies in advance if this has been asked previously, but my search did not yield exactly what I was looking for.

To preface my question: I’m a new pool owner (with an old pool). I don’t have a dedicated suction pipe and had been relying on a Vac Mate in my skimmer basket (with connection to main drain plugged). The pool was originally setup with a Zodiac Baracuda suction side vacuum. When disassembling for repair, it disintegrated in my hands and I’ve not replaced it. In the meantime, I’ve manually vacuuming and intend to go with a robot (EVO) when I get tired of my current routine. Maybe I need to find better things to do with my time but I’m finding vacuuming to be mildly therapeutic 😂.

Question: The old Vac Mate setup required I plug the connection to the main drain in my skimmer basket. Now that I’m not using the Vac Mate, it seems logical to me that I should remove the plug allowing for some suction via the main drain; if for no other reason than to improve circulation. Am I right to proceed way? My search of the forums seemed to yield recommendations to keep the main drain plugged and it’s left me a little confused.

Sorry for the long winded question and thank you in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Last edited:
+1 with Herman. I like my drains, but adjust them low enough that it doesn't impede skimming.

I don't know how to adjust yours though.

Maybe I need to find better things to do with my time but I’m finding vacuuming to be mildly therapeutic 😂.
Vac from in the pool. (When it's warm enough). With a snorkel mask on you can see 1000X better than from the patio and it's 95% swimming and 5% work.

Die,

Most old pools have the main drain connected to the skimmer. But, the main drain will never work unless there is some device to turn it on or off.

It would make sense, to know how your system is set up..

How many holes are in the bottom of your skimmer.. (I assume two, one pipe going to your pump and one going to your main drain,)

Does your skimmer have some kind of movable flap that turns the main drain on and off?

Does your skimmer have a floating diverter valve, that is under your skimmer basket?

How many pipes come out of the ground and go into your pump? (I assume only one, if more, show me some pics..)

Thanks,

Jim R.

How many holes are in the bottom of your skimmer.. (I assume two, one pipe going to your pump and one going to your main drain,)
Correct, just two. I’ve attached a photo for reference. IMG_0244.jpeg
Does your skimmer have some kind of movable flap that turns the main drain on and off?
Nope (not that I can tell).
Does your skimmer have a floating diverter valve, that is under your skimmer basket?
Nope.
How many pipes come out of the ground and go into your pump? (I assume only one, if more, show me some pics..)
Correct, just one. I’ve attached a photo for reference (don’t judge 😔). IMG_0245.jpeg

I’ve had to replace a lot of missing elements since I’ve moved in, it wouldn’t surprise me if I should have some movable flap or diverter valve that’s not currently present. I’ve ordered a skimmer weir door and will install that later this week.

Does any of this help?

Reactions: Newdude
Die,

Your pool has not had a functioning Main Drain since you have owned the pool... :mrgreen:

It is also not at all necessary for you to plug the main drain hole when you connect your Vac to the skimmer.

The hole nearest to the water is the one normally connected to your main drain. The other hole is the one that is connected to your pump.

For the main drain to work, you would need a floating Diverter valve.. Looks kind-of like a space ship. :mrgreen: I have never had any luck making them work on a consistent basis.. In my mind they are next to useless...

The whole point here is that since you moved in, you have never had a operating main drain, and didn't even know it.. So why do you think you need one now??? :scratch:

I have two rent house pools with no operating main drain, just like yours. Both pools work just fine without a main drain..

Just so you know, this is what the floating diverter looks like.. You would have to get the one for your specific skimmer..

I suggest that you just forget about your main drain, and move on, but that is up to you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you @Jimrahbe!

A character flaw of mine is that all too often I allow perfect to be the enemy of good. I agree that the pool can perform without a functioning main drain; as you so kindly pointed out it’s been operating that way for quite some time now without any obvious problems. I’m just leaning on the community a bit for best practices. I’d like to start my pool ownership journey knowing what “ideal” operation might look like and then learn where I can deviate.

One of the problems I’m running into is determining what my old skimmer is and what new equipment might fit. It appears I might have an old Sta-Rite skimmer. The gasket on the bottom leads me to believe it did, at some point, have a “UFO style” diverter. Reviews online are mixed as to whether or not they work well enough. For now I’m going to live without it 😀

It may not sound like I’m grateful for your input, but I really am. Thank you again for investing your time to respond.

Die,

The floating diverter valve is not too expensive, so you can buy one and try it out... The worst thing that can happen is that it does not work.. it can't make things any worse..

Having a weir door will make your skimmer actually "skim".. It is something that is much more important than the main drain. The basic problem is that you can't skim at all if you have a suction side cleaner stuck in the main drain... :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
+1 with Herman. I like my drains, but adjust them low enough that it doesn't impede skimming.

I don't know how to adjust yours though.

Vac from in the pool. (When it's warm enough). With a snorkel mask on you can see 1000X better than from the patio and it's 95% swimming and 5% work.
I wanted to follow up on this comment. Our pool is officially open for the season and I couldn’t agree more about vacuuming while in the pool with a snorkel mask. Loads of fun and way more efficient. Thanks for even mentioning it!