skimmer placement phoenix

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I saw on a couples websites that skimmer placement should be downstream from return jets and down wind from prevailing winds. we r building a 40 x 12 rectangle pool. i was trying to keep the skimmer away from the baja step which downwind from prevailing winds here in phoenix. my pool will be in-floor with one skimmer. it's being built by california pools with the pv3 from paramount. it seems the pb is fine putting it wherever i want it, but it cost me more the farther i put it from the pool equipment.

do i need 1 or 2 skimmers?
can i put 1 skimmer upwind? thanks!

I don't think one skimmer is enough for a pool that size. But, to have any chance of one skimmer keeping your pool surface clean it has to be downwind. You can put it on the side of the downwind area, you just need to point the pool returns correctly for clockwise or counterclockwise water circulation to help the flow. Post a pic of the layout and we can help with that.

pooldv is right. You should have 2 skimmers on a pool that long.

The skimmers should be placed on opposite long walls, equi-distant apart (or as close as you can reasonably make them equi-distant).

The infloor cleaner should not be considered returns. You should have dedicated lines for that. What happens if something happened to the valve and the cleaner heads woldnt pop up? No return flow. And would not be good. You should clarify that with your PB though.

thx. will i have returns or is the in-floor considered the returns? i thought the pb mentioned this unless I am mistaking it for something else that is not needed in a pool with in-floor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.