Skimmer not working while pool cleaner, waterfall are on

Ah ok, I got confused :)

Well, you might be able to tell something if you report the filter pressure in various configurations. Just vac, just floor drain, just skimmer, etc and see if that points to a problem in the skimmer.

I am guessing though that when they are all open, they are all getting suction, just not enough for you to notice.

Yeah, when they are all open, they should be getting suction, but when they are in that position it's not enough to suction to make anything run efficiently. (ie; skimmer doesn't pull anything through, cleaner doesn't move, and waterfall doesn't flow over. So, do you think there might be a clog in the skimmer pipe at the 90 degree bend?

You have not really told us anything to indicate a clog ... if the skimmer works with the vac off, then it is likely fine. If the vac will not move without full suction, then you will not be able to have the skimmer and vac on at the same time. Plus a clog on the suction side would not cause high pressure readings (although they are suspect).

Since the gauge did not go to zero, that typically means the gauge is bad. I would replace it before continuing as there is no way how accurate it is.

When is the last time you cleaned the filter? Might be good to start clean with a new gauge and then have baseline clean pressure readings.

The cheap ones are < $10 at a hardware store or pool store. The better liquid filled ones are around $15 I think (although may not have them readily available in town).

How does your water look? The filter could clog up quickly if there is algae in the water.

water is fine...looks great and is 82 degrees! I'll get a new guage then and see what that tells me, and go from there. But, if there isn't enough pressure to run everything at the same time, then what does that mean I'd have to do to make it all work at the same time??

Well it could be that something is wrong with the Navigator that is making it require more suction than it should need {I know nothing about these, so I am not even sure if it can "fail" like that}

To get everything to work, you need to be able to move more water.
You could get a little more flow by reducing any pressure side resistance ... like returning the water to the pool and the spa at the same time.
Or another thing I just noticed: is your filter 100 sqft? For a pool your size, we would recommend a cartridge filter that is at least 200 sqft, so your filter could be restricting the flow and it will clog more quickly.

A good set of pressure readings for various configurations should help us understand.

ok...we just replaced the rubber feet(shoes) and the wings on the Navigator. Looks like it's working, but slow.
Yes, the original paperwork on our pool said 100. Not sure if we've ever replaced it or just the cartridge. I couldn't read any of the labels on the actual filter casing. I know our pool size hasn't changed since then. LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't most suction vacs some is a gauge you can put in the hose to determine the valve settings to have optimal performance? IF you had that you could determine if the vac was working at the correct suction level or if you would needing more suction than usual.

I do recall reading many reviews about the Navigator ... most said to avoid it do to the many parts and having to always mess with it to keep it working correctly.

BTW, I do know that ThePoolCleaner vac supposedly required like half of the suction than most vacs. That could be an option in the future if we determine that you currently do not have enough suction to run both. That and a new bigger filter and why not throw a 2-speed pump in while I am spending your money ;)

haha! yeah, right! I think I'll start with the guage, and see what that tells us. One step at a time...lol
Thanks for hanging with me today! :-D Now I have to get done what I didn't do earlier! Appreciate your help! I'll keep you posted on what's happening tomorrow afternoon. It's so mind boggling, because it all used to work fine up until about 3 weeks ago. Have a great evening!

Sorry for such a delay in posting. Thank you for all your help. I ended up having a pool company come out, and they said we needed a new filter. He said sometimes it can look clean on the accordion filter areas on the outside, but there can still be buildup on the inside. So, we got a new filter, and voila! Everything is working at the same time now!
Just wanted to give you an update to close out this post. Thanks again!