Skimmer liner issue

Oct 13, 2014
manalapan/nj
I just had to repair a rust issue. In the process the liner had to be unhooked at the top and the skimmer taken off. Now, I can not get the liner back up high enough to completely go over the Haywood butterfly gasket at the bottom. Is there an oversized gasket? I only need 1/4 inch! In other words the liner will not go high enough to completely cover the bottom of the butterfly gasket. I have heated and pulled. Maybe, someone has encountered this before?

you are probably going to have to patch it. this is the biggest problem redoing liners or having to empty a liner pool. I wouldn't try to stretch it too much. add a strip of patch to make up the difference. it won't show much at all on the bottom of the skimmer plate.

How old is the liner and how much water did you drain out? It could be the liner shrunk a bit. I'm not familiar if the gaskets are made in different sizes. If you drained a bit more water, would you be able to get the liner pulled up far enough?
When installing the butterfly gasket it should be in this order like a sandwich (from inside to outside) skimmer plate, gasket, liner, pool wall, gasket, skimmer housing.
When we fixed the rust, we were also replacing the liner, so we did not have this problem. Sorry.

Reactions: Pv2
How old is the liner and how much water did you drain out? It could be the liner shrunk a bit. I'm not familiar if the gaskets are made in different sizes. If you drained a bit more water, would you be able to get the liner pulled up far enough?
When installing the butterfly gasket it should be in this order like a sandwich (from inside to outside) skimmer plate, gasket, liner, pool wall, gasket, skimmer housing.
When we fixed the rust, we were also replacing the liner, so we did not have this problem. Sorry.

I didn't catch that - yeah, the liner needs to be next to the pool wall and the inside pool part of the gasket over it.

Reactions: mariane
I keep seeing different ways of installing the butterfly gasket. The Haywood instructions say the liner needs to be between the faceplate and gasket. You say the liner goes between the gasket and inside pool wall. What is the reasoning? I lowered the water in the pool to about 1 foot high. Looks like I might have to install a large patch and cut a new hole for the skimmer.

I keep seeing different ways of installing the butterfly gasket. The Haywood instructions say the liner needs to be between the faceplate and gasket. You say the liner goes between the gasket and inside pool wall. What is the reasoning? I lowered the water in the pool to about 1 foot high. Looks like I might have to install a large patch and cut a new hole for the skimmer.
Per Doughboy instructions: liner sandwiched between the butterfly gasket and inside pool wall. It keeps the water away from the pool wall.
If you do it the other way, when water gets past the faceplate, it will get in between the liner and gasket, and run down along the wall and inside between the liner and wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.