Skimmer Issue

bfcollins04

Jul 17, 2023
Rochester, Illinois
This is my first time on a forum so I hope I'm doing this right. If I don't get a response then I'll know I did it wrong. My question is concerning my skimmer. My algae problem is so bad this year that a "normal" vacuuming will not work. I'm having to vacuum to waste. This is the first time I've had to do this. My problem is that water is being sucked out around the vacuum hose where it's connected in the skimmer. The end of my vacuum hose that connects to the skimmer is larger than the skimmer hole so I have to use an adapter to get it to fit. It feels like a good connection but it obviously isn't. Therefore, the water in the skimmer is sucked out which causes a loud sucking sound. My question is will this hurt anything other than having to listen to the noise. I can still vacuum the algae but, of course, the suction isn't 100%. I just want to make sure I won't damage my pump or filter by continuing. Thanks for any input.

Welcome to TFP
We need to solve the algae problem. Simply vacuuming out algae does not kill it or stop it from reoccurring.
How do you test your pool water? Can you provide a set of test results?

We use the SLAM Process to kill algae. It requires several prerequisites such as a proper test kit, the purchase of liquid chlorine and the commitment to follow the process.

We have 100's, maybe 1000's of members that have joined with similar issues and we have helped them resolve it to a crystal clear pool. See this site as to testament of how a properly maintained pool can look like

How Clear is TFP Clear? Let's See (Pics Only Please).

How clear should my water be? A very common question. Here is mine on a calm morning where I could finally vacuum. Yes I know, I'm still manually vacuuming. It took me 7 years to finally get an SWG, I'm working on a robot. :) So now let's see your water clarity.
www.troublefreepool.com
www.troublefreepool.com

With regard to your skimmer, if you are letting your pump suck in air then yes that could eventually harm your pump. There are adapters to fit the hose to various sizes of skimmers.
See this as an example
Skimmer Plate

Welcome to TFP
We need to solve the algae problem. Simply vacuuming out algae does not kill it or stop it from reoccurring.
How do you test your pool water? Can you provide a set of test results?

We use the SLAM Process to kill algae. It requires several prerequisites such as a proper test kit, the purchase of liquid chlorine and the commitment to follow the process.

We have 100's, maybe 1000's of members that have joined with similar issues and we have helped them resolve it to a crystal clear pool. See this site as to testament of how a properly maintained pool can look like

How Clear is TFP Clear? Let's See (Pics Only Please).

How clear should my water be? A very common question. Here is mine on a calm morning where I could finally vacuum. Yes I know, I'm still manually vacuuming. It took me 7 years to finally get an SWG, I'm working on a robot. :) So now let's see your water clarity.
www.troublefreepool.com
www.troublefreepool.com

With regard to your skimmer, if you are letting your pump suck in air then yes that could eventually harm your pump. There are adapters to fit the hose to various sizes of skimmers.
See this as an example
Skimmer Plate
I've taken care of the algae problem. Now, I'm just trying to get it off the bottom of my pool. I will take your advice & visit my pool store for a different hose adapter before I continue vacuuming. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.