Skimmer-drain ratio? Plaster pool acid startup

Jul 26, 2017
Boston
We are in day 2 of our medium grey plaster pool startup (acid).

What should the ratio be skimmer vs main drains?

Day 1 the pool was crystal clear. Over about 6 hours (after 3 brushings that day) it went 100% cloudy.

The brushing method we use basically pushes it towards the main drains., but I noticed that the main drain was completely off (PB set it this way).

Should I go full skimmer? Or partial skimmer?

Is the PB handling the startup? If so, he may be planning to vacuum after some of the dust settles and then clean the filter, before starting to use the main drain. There is probably a fair bit of plaster dust on the bottom, with more of it near the main drain.

Once the pool is clean, you'll probably pull more from the skimmer to keep debris off the surface; and draw less from the main drain just to keep the deeper, cooler water mixing. You'll no doubt adjust it many times as you figure out what the pool needs and your preferences.

Is the PB handling the startup? If so, he may be planning to vacuum after some of the dust settles and then clean the filter, before starting to use the main drain. There is probably a fair bit of plaster dust on the bottom, with more of it near the main drain.

Once the pool is clean, you'll probably pull more from the skimmer to keep debris off the surface; and draw less from the main drain just to keep the deeper, cooler water mixing. You'll no doubt adjust it many times as you figure out what the pool needs and your preferences.
He left me on my own. I realized I need a vacuum (non wheeled) so I just bought one. There is def a decent accumulation near the drains

I closed the skimmer off for the majority of the start up time this week on my pool, you should be less worried about floating surface debris and concentrate on those drains, switch back and forth if needed to clear surface debris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.