Skimmer Burp Back

Jul 27, 2012
Recently my skimmer has started what I call "burp back". Sometimes when my pool pump turns off a large amount of air and water come blowing out of my skimmer to the point that it blows the lid off the skimmer. This of course is not ideal as it also blows the contents of the skimmer back into the pool. I can not figure out what is going on. Any suggestions?

Check the simplest answer. If the weir door is sticky it won’t drop and the pump will clear the skimmer in a flash. A half second later the weir door drops with no water to support it and the burp happens. It fools you into thinking the door is ok. Make sure it moves freely.

Next up is water level. A hair too low and it will respond as you’ve seen. Sorry for the ‘newb’ answers but 9 times out of 10 it’s something silly that was overlooked.

So something is causing a dead stop condition that’s taking the incoming water to the pump and pushing it back. My next guess would be the pump impeller or a check valve / flow switch in the heater. You have a simple setup so you’re free of any automation actuators that could be sticking.

Check the impeller that it spins freely with all power off. Maybe it’s clogged with hair or pine needles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So something is causing a dead stop condition that’s taking the incoming water to the pump and pushing it back. My next guess would be the pump impeller or a check valve / flow switch in the heater. You have a simple setup so you’re free of any automation actuators that could be sticking.

Check the impeller that it spins freely with all power off. Maybe it’s clogged with hair or pine needles.
Is the impeller inside the round housing with the metal band, any easy way to get to that?

Do you have a main drain because I see second line at the suction close off. The 2hp pump to me sounds excessive maybe contributing to the problem.
I do not have a main drain that is a side suction vacuum drain, that I do not use and have it shut off. I corrected my signature, that was not my pump, I actually have a 1 1/2 HP Pentair Stay Rite Max E Pro. But let's talk about that. That is a new pump I got last year same HP as the ole one but it is way stronger than my previous pump, for example when the pool is running you can not stand in front of the eyes because they are very strong, I would say more powerful than a hot tub. I was contemplating replacing this pump next year with a 1 HP because they give me a lot of trouble with my Polaris 360 etc.

Is the impeller inside the round housing with the metal band, any easy way to get to that?
Yes. It’s basically a fan with blades that grabs water and throws it downstream, sucking more in the process. Take the lid off and the basket out and you should be able to reach in and feel the blades and spin it. Power off with no change of accidental re-energizing, of course. :)

I do not have a main drain that is a side suction vacuum drain, that I do not use and have it shut off. I corrected my signature, that was not my pump, I actually have a 1 1/2 HP Pentair Stay Rite Max E Pro. But let's talk about that. That is a new pump I got last year same HP as the ole one but it is way stronger than my previous pump, for example when the pool is running you can not stand in front of the eyes because they are very strong, I would say more powerful than a hot tub. I was contemplating replacing this pump next year with a 1 HP because they give me a lot of trouble with my Polaris 360 etc.
I still think it's too much pump for one return, think that's the issue.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.