Gold Supporter
Jun 24, 2022
Donna, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Everything is working fine as it is now. I have 4 skimmers on my 37500 gal pool. They are divided into North and South. There is a ball valve for the North and also for the South set. The ball valves will not turn. Do I need these ball valves? I have the 'flap' in the bottom of the skimmers to stop and or control water flow. I have the Jandy valve to control the flow between the skimmers and the main drain. Replacing the ball valves might be tricky because of the short pipe left available from the last installation

Attachments

• Ball Valve_20221005_113933650.jpg
    Ball Valve_20221005_113933650.jpg
    724.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Ball Valve_20221005_113940127.jpg
    Ball Valve_20221005_113940127.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Ball Valve_20221005_113949764.jpg
    Ball Valve_20221005_113949764.jpg
    667.1 KB · Views: 23
And that is why we are constantly telling folks with new builds to never use ball valves. Always use diverter valves.

You will need the valve if you ever have a skimmer line crack and you want to take that skimmer offline and let the pool run with one skimmer.

The purpose of those ball valves were to balance the suction between your north and south skimmers. Both valves appear to be wide open and probably have not been turned in a long time which is how they get stuck. If it has been skimming fine then there is no reason to replace those valves.

As a note for for members building new pools, it is always recommended to use the Jandy Never Lube diverter valves (or similar products from Pentair and Hayward) for any control valve. While they cost more initially to install, they are repairable without removing the main body from the plumbing, therefore always useable for their intended purpose such as to control suction devices or to control flow going to water features or slides, etc.

Why do you have the skimmer off and the pump running on only the main drain?

ball-valve_20221005_113933650-jpg.456860

And that is why we are constantly telling folks with new builds to never use ball valves. Always use diverter valves.

You will need the valve if you ever have a skimmer line crack and you want to take that skimmer offline and let the pool run with one skimmer.
I did not think of that. Thank you.

The purpose of those ball valves were to balance the suction between your north and south skimmers. Both valves appear to be wide open and probably have not been turned in a long time which is how they get stuck. If it has been skimming fine then there is no reason to replace those valves.

As a note for for members building new pools, it is always recommended to use the Jandy Never Lube diverter valves (or similar products from Pentair and Hayward) for any control valve. While they cost more initially to install, they are repairable without removing the main body from the plumbing, therefore always useable for their intended purpose such as to control suction devices or to control flow going to water features or slides, etc.
If I replace the ball valves I will use Jandy valves. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.