Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
This afternoon I added a bag of salt after backwashing to bring the salt back up. It was a single bag of salt, from Sure Soft at Lowes. I inspected it before I put it in and it was normal white salt with no oily residue like several have reported. I dumped it in the pool and ran the robot immediately like I usually do. I left to run some errands and came back to a skid mark on my plaster. Thoughts on what I can do (besides untangle the robot cord)?

IMG_8948.jpgIMG_8947.jpg
IMG_8946.jpg

Thanks, I'll do the sock and vitamin C... just more venting than anything. People shouldn't be scared to put salt in their pools. Have some freakin quality control on your products.

Reactions: Saturn94
That sucks - I’m dealing with some staining and I wondered about the salt I have used as my last several mortons professional bags were extremely dirty/rocky this year & last. I’ve switched brands now but I have put many pounds of it in.
The vitamin c is like magic though!

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Was it softener salt?

Most “stain fighters” in salt are sodium hexametaphosphate (SHMP) and it won’t cause iron stains.

Salt, by itself, can cause iron staining if there is already trace iron levels in the water. The solid salt dissolves slowly and creates a large volume of water with very high ionic strength. The high ionic strength solution leads to the precipitation of iron oxides that normally would not happen on its own. It’s akin to a chemical process known as “salting out” … the presence of a high concentration of ions in solutions affects the ability of water to maintain the solubility of other ionic species, in this case, iron.

The fix is to either pre-dissolve the salt first and add it like you would other concentrated chemicals (in front of a return) OR add the salt to the pool and very vigorously brush it around until it is dissolved. Using a robot is not going to be targeted enough and there were probably very concentrated piles of salt sitting on the plaster for too long.

Reactions: mgtfp

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. No iron in the water that I know of (city water) and it was marketed as pool salt. I was only gone for about an hour and came back to no undissolved salt plus a skidmark, but regardless, I ended up with a stain.
I think I'll try pre-dissolving the salt next time I have to add salt. Kinda a PITA, but that way I can really get a good look at the salt and make a decision as to if it is pool worthy or if it needs to be dumped on the neighbor's grass.

I also emailed the company to see if they had any ideas and also send them the lot number of the bag in case they care. I'm not expecting much more than a coupon for the $8 I spent on the bag, but I'll post back if they respond with any info.

This afternoon I added a bag of salt after backwashing to bring the salt back up. It was a single bag of salt, from Sure Soft at Lowes. I inspected it before I put it in and it was normal white salt with no oily residue like several have reported. I dumped it in the pool and ran the robot immediately like I usually do. I left to run some errands and came back to a skid mark on my plaster. Thoughts on what I can do (besides untangle the robot cord)?

View attachment 518505View attachment 518506
View attachment 518507
I missed your previous thread “ how can I make my robot faster? Can I increase the voltage from 20 to 60?”

• Haha
Reactions: JJ_Tex
I missed your previous thread “ how can I make my robot faster? Can I increase the voltage from 20 to 60?”
You may be on to something. I bet I could even use the Bluetooth controls to make it do a donut.

gxdCzKw.gif

As a quick update, I used the vitamin C tablets to lift the stain. All I did was put a handful of tablets into a sock and hit them with a hammer to break them up. Then I dove underwater and patted the stain a few times causing the dissolving tablets to "poof" every time I patted it. It lifted the stain instantly.

Hope that helps someone else.

Also Suresoft did contact me, but just to ask for the Lot # on the bag which I provided. Radio silence since then.

I jump in with the brush and have my daughter pour the salt in. Doesn’t take long to dissolve especially if you keep it moving.
JJ was giving an update. JJ put in salt and it left a stain. It was Vitamin C tablets that he put in a sock and crushed to remove the stain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.