Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Moved From Here

i am in PA with a bit smaller pool (24k). My hayward swg is rated 40k and it keeps up with peak summer heat running no more than 45%.

Would i have been ok with the 25k rated model? Maybe but it would be at peak capacity in the summer without any room for error.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, if you ran it at 100% 24/7. And perhaps no kid peed in your pool, or no pool parties?? You want enough play that you're getting all the chlorine you need *without* having to run the device 24/7.

Remember, those things have a specified lifespan in hours. Some 8k hours, others 10k hours... so you don't want to go full bore if you don't have to.

Maddie 🌻

Reactions: generessler
There's also $$$. Cell life depends on time in the "on"condition. The cell with capacity 2X will last twice as long as one with capacity X, but normally costs less than twice as much, and the electronics will typically cost the same. Result: the bigger the cell, the smaller the total cost of ownership.

Bigger is usually always better when it comes to salt cells & filters.
Down sizing would mean you deplete the cell twice as fast & also risk not having enough wiggle room in the process. The smaller cell is not 1/2 the price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.