size, shape considerations

Thank you!

I added the salt today. Running my pump on high for the next 24 hours and will start my SWG tomorrow.
I added 640 pounds (16 bags) based on an initial salt level of 600 and pool math suggested that amount to get me to around 3100.

My my question is: how soon can swimmers get back in the pool. I added the salt mid-afternoon today.

Salt day = diamond day! You can pour it in with swimmers in the water looking at it under the water. It looks like diamonds and it is great fun to find the diamonds and crush them to make many small diamonds. Many people do it this way and the kids love it!

Kim:kim:

So today I turned in the SWG and I have been running it on 75% since about lunchtime.
Had my 3 kids in the pool for a few hours this afternoon.
Checked FC late afternoon
Almost none (.5) with the basic drop test.

My salt level was at bout 2800, so I added 3 bags of salt around 6 pm. My SWG recommends a salt level of around 3500 ppm to be ideal.
Checked FC again.
Still pretty much 0. When I added the powder from my Taylor test kit, it didn't turn pink at all.

PH is 7.5-7.8
This morning CYA was 60, but I didn't check it this afternoon.

Is is there something wrong with my SWG that I don't seem to be getting any chlorine generated?

Set it for 100% and then look for bubbles coming out of some or one of the returns - most do create bubbles. Also there should be a screen that shows the volts/amps, etc. Post up a picture of that and that should help folks diagnose any issues.

Don't wait to add bleach. Keep using it until you can confirm your SWG is working so you don't get a mess on your hands.

And to confirm that those bubbles aren't a pressure side leak, turn off the SWG and confirm that the bubbles go away. If they do go away, your cell is generating chlorine. Your volts and amps look like what mine looks like when operating correctly - different system but same concept.

My other thought is that you should turn off the SWG tonight and perform a OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test). See directions here and follow them to the letter. https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt The goal here is to see if you have other uses of chlorine that we are not considering, which would cause your SWG not to be keeping up.

I will do the bubble check this afternoon, but don't think it is a leak. The bubbles are very tiny, almost like you would see in a carbonated soda drink (or smaller).

I added chlorine this morning. I will check all levels once home today and will perform the OCLT tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup. That's it generating chlorine in all likelihood.

And to confirm that those bubbles aren't a pressure side leak, turn off the SWG and confirm that the bubbles go away. If they do go away, your cell is generating chlorine.

Yes sir, when I turned the SWG off the bubbles stopped. So I feel good that the SWG is producing chlorine. I will test my salt level and see how I stand there. My SWG shows a level sound 2900 ppm, but I am thinking it is a bit higher than that. Just want to be sure I have it near the 3500 ppm recommended by my SWG manufacturer. I will also test all other numbers on things normally looked at.

I will turn off SWG in a few minutes and after sundown, perform the OCLT tonight.

Ok, here are my numbers.
At about 6:15 pm

FC 7.0
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 100
CH 125
CYA 70
Salt 3800 (My SWG says it will operate with salt levels from 3000 - 4000, with 3500 ppm being ideal.)
Water Temp 89°

I retested the FC about 7:15 pm. Still light out but sun was down at the horizon behind trees with no direct sunlight on the pool for at least 15-20 minutes before I tested. The SWG had been off since 4:30 pm.
The FC was still at 7.0

For full info since my FC was essentially Zero last night and KimKats suggested I needed to give the SWG a helping hand, this morning before work, I added 3 pouches of this product because I didn't have any bleach on hand and I had these from when I first opened the pool.
IMG_5734.jpg

Gotcha. No worries. Looking forward to the am reading.

Gotcha. No worries. Looking forward to the am reading.

Me too!
Any other numbers you see in my tests this evening that look suspect?

The pool has looked really good from day one. It was clear, but with a little green tint at the fill up. Pool filled on a Thursday but pump not connected until Saturday. During those couple of days I brushed at least twice a day. Once pump began running, and filtration started, green tint went away almost immediately. Never has returned on any level since.

Thanks for all the help!

Nope. Everything looks good for vinyl and salt. The OCLT is just an easy, nothing to lose test to do to eliminate other concerns.

Another thing you can do tomorrow after the OCLT is to capture water coming out of the return jet with the most bubbles (salt cell running). Test that water for FC. It should read very high (though I'm not sure how high). I wouldn't waste too much reagent on it but it should give you some confidence.

Ok, so here is what I did. I ran the FAS-DPD FC test again this morning at 6:00 am.
I did 3 tests from 3 different areas of the pool.

#1 (deep end west side) = FC 5.5, CC 0.5
#2 (deep end east side) = FC 6.0 CC 0
#3 (shallow end) = FC 5.5, CC 0.5

So not sure exactly what to make of the different results.
Ph this morning was between 7.5 & 7.8
Salt level is 3400

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.