Size does matter

shutch

Jun 8, 2013
Missouri
Hi everyone. I love TFP!! This place is my go to every year and I always recommend you guys to everyone. Thank you! OK, so I have calculated, read, read some more, and read even more. I am now more confused than ever. Can someone just tell me what pool pump to get?! I just want a pump that isnt rigged up, that is low maintenance, and reasonably priced as I am very poor. I don't know all the measurements, head way, head foot and that jazz. I can tell you the pool size and what I have now. I don't care if it is salt, sand, DE or chlorine. I just want someone's help. I am overwhelmed. Please help? Lbvs. :confused::confused:

Any 1HP pump is fine. Would suggest a 2-speed to save money on power by running on low.

Lots of members seem to like the Matrix Powerflo.

Oh, just read to the end. You started talking about pumps, but then mention filters ... those are 2 different pieces of equipment.

What are you really looking for?

Hey schutz,

If you just need a pump, like jblizzle says, a 1 HP will do you fine. If you get a 2 speed pump it will save you a lot of electricity.
When ordering a 2 speed pump, If you want simple - be sure it comes with a built in high/low speed switch. Many 2 speed pumps do not, so you have to tell them you want it.

You mention sand, DE and what not and those are Filters, which are separate from the pump, obviously.
When it comes to filters, just get the biggest one you can afford. The bigger, the better, so you dont have to clean them so often.

Oh heck Idk. I guess a whole new filtration system? We have a Hayward xstream right now, I believe it's a 1.5 HP, but it's all rigged up, so to speak. And the filters for that thing are like 60-70 bucks!
The thing that is low to the ground...that has a see thru window...is that the pump? If so, it is leaking too.
So I am guessing a whole setup?
Like cant I just swap the things I have for like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blue-Wave-Hydro-120-sq-ft-Cartridge-Pool-Filter-System-with-1-5-HP-Pump-for-Above-Ground-Pools-NE636/204052272
or this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blue-Wave-18-in-Sand-Filter-System-with-3600-GPH-1-HP-Pump-for-Above-Ground-Pools-NE6150/203414388
Just using those as an example.
Sorry, I am really clueless.

Hey Shutch. Is your current pump in good working order? What about the filter? Could you say what problems you are having with the system?

I personally use a 1hp Hayward Matrix and an S180T sand filter, and use a $30 timer switch to make it happen. The difference between an S180T and a larger sand filter is that you would have to backwash and rinse more often (for example: once a month rather than once every two or three months). I chose the S180T because my pool plumbing is under a deck and on a significant grade - I live on top of a hill/mountain - I can lift it and so on. I do not mind having to backwash and rinse more frequently, especially since I check the filter pressure regularly and have a lot of rain in the pool I need to dispose of. I have considered cartridge and DE filters, but am very happy with a sand filter and the low cost and maintenance associated with it.

You can find a 1hp Matrix and S180T for about $300 online, maybe up to $400. An S180T with 2 speed 1hp matrix will cost about $80 more. However, 150lb of filter sand will cost up to $80 but will be a once in 10 to 20 year purchase. I do recommend the two speed matrix as it will cut down on energy cost substantially. A larger sand filter will not make the cost rise much at all, but then the sand cost will be increased.

On energy, a 1hp matrix run 24x7 may cost $100 a month in electricity, while the same but 2 speed might cost $40 a month when run on low. If you run about 8 hours a day, that translates to $33 and $13 a month.

Feel free to message me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.