Simple X10 automation. How does it work?

coilerman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a rudimentary x10 automation system that does three things:

1) turn on/off pool light
2) turn on/off spa light
3) turn on "spa mode"

Spa mode entails:

a) turn on Hayward 3/4 hp booster pump
b) switch outlet and inlet Goldline valve actuators to spa position
c) turn Hayward gas heater to spa mode

All this magic seems to happen inside a control box. I've attached a couple of photos of said control box below. I would like to know how this all works. I have a pretty good understanding of household electricity.

I have two light switches that control the pool and spa lights. I assume the x10 control module simply sends an on/off signal to these two switches to take care of function 1 and 2.

It's function 3 that I don't understand. The x10 module in the box is this: SmartHome - X10 Universal Receiver - Relay Output

The description says it responds by closing an internal relay. That one relay must control the pump, valve actuators and heater. How does that work? What sort of signal are the pump, valve actuators and heater expecting? Is this documented somewhere? I can't find a thing in either of my owner's manuals.

E3l4eIG.jpg

1zqXVXp.jpg

I can't view the photos hosted on Imgur here, so if you can host them on TFP I can look at them.

However, X-10 is pretty simple. The light switches as you surmised gets their signal from the control module. The rely output receiver is just another switch with a small relay built in. Due to the fact that it isn't rated for much current, it has to be controlling other relay(s) that run the pump, valves & heater. As I said, I can't see the pictures, but I'm pretty sure that's how they control them.

c,

To do function three several things have to happen..

To turn on the Booster pump a relay must close to supply AC power to the pump... I would assume this is the relay in the middle of your box..

To turn the valve you must have 24 VAC and a single pole double throw relay.. The device in the upper left of your screen is a step down transformer and provides the 24 VAC and I assume the relay below the transformer is the one that when energized, turns the valve one way, and when not energized, turns the valve the other way.

The heater most likely just needs a single relay contact closure to tell the heater to switch to the Spa mode which is most likely provided by one of the two relays or by the relay inside the X10.. I can't really tell for sure..

Why are you asking, is it broke??

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I edited my original post to embed the photos.

The block between the outlet and the transformer - is that another relay? Perhaps that's controlling the pump?
I realized Jimrahbe answered that question.

I'm thinking the best approach to figure things out is to disconnect each relay and see which device is affected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.