Simple programming of a Hayward VSP

pmcd

May 31, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I just had a .85 HP Hayward Super Pump VSP (115v) installed. It has 4 preprogrammed speeds as well as a timer capability. I want to use 2 speeds. 950rpm for 12 hours and 1350rpm for 12 hours. This means you have to set up two timers. Does anyone have a simple explanation of how to do this? So from 7AM to 7PM I want it to be at 1350 and from 7PM to 7AM I want it to be at 950.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Seems that the easiest solution is to not run the pump 24/7 ... which is just a waste of electricity anyway.

Most pools only need a few hours of circulation to mix the chemistry ... although you might need a longer run time for your SWG to make adequate FC.
Are you still using the solar in your signature? That generally needs higher flow rates to be most efficient.

Even if I didn't run the pump 24/7 I would have to have the timer start the pump. I am still using the solar and heat pump which is why I'd like to run things 24/7. The 1350 rpm provides enough flow for the swg and solar while the 950 is enough when the solar is off. The electrical cost of the pump is negligible at those rates. The solar would work better at a higher flow rate but it's ok as is.

Something is missing as the solution I thought worked doesn't. The point of the pump was to automate things and provide enough flow for the swg and heat pump. Not quite working out yet as I have to keep manually stopping and resuming the pump. Sigh ... It's all in these timers and I can't seem to get a simple answer, even from Hayward.

Well Hayward contacted me with a very simple solution that seems to work. You set two timers T8 and T1. T1 has the highest priority and will override lower priority timers such as T8 so one way is to have T2—>T7 OFF and set

T1: 7:00AM—>6:45pm @speed A
T8: 12midnight—> 11:45pm @speed B

speed A is chosen so that solar, heat pump and swg have enough flow ( I have it at 1500)

speed B is chosen to make the heat pump and swg have enough flow ( I have it at 1000)

prime time is set to 1 minute

You can fine tune these figures to get things to work. For example when the solar changes state you have to have enough flow to saturate the panels and let gravity do its thing after ( going from off to on).

In any case this simple setup does appear to work well, is silent and has a very low running cost.

Edit: Fixed the mixup with T1 and T8 and speed labels. Sorry about that. It's finally accurate now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.