Simple, Easy and Inexpensive Aerator Using a Venturi

Jul 28, 2017
Eden Prairie
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Here is an aerator/bubbler that will run off your water return. Parts are cheap and ubiquitous. A plethora off bubbles!

IMG_5848.jpg

Exploded view of parts
IMG_5846.jpg

IMG_5849.jpg
Parts List
NIBCO® 1-1/2" MIP x Socket PVC Adapter
NIBCO® 1-1/2" Spigot x 3/4" Socket PVC Reducer Bushing
1/2" pvc pipe (Length depends on depth of water return)
3/4" pvc pipe (Only 2" needed)
NIBCO® 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/2" Socket PVC Reducer Tee
PVC Primer and Glue

You will have to bore out the stop in the 1/2" opening in the tee so the 1/2" PVC used for air intake slides all the way through to the bottom of the tee. I used a rotary rasp similar to the image below. The 45 degree bevel cut on the 1/2" pipe is very important and must face out towards the pool (see exploded view). Don't glue the air 1/2" intake pipe into the tee, you may need to adjust it depending on your water pressure. I wouldn't glue the 3/4" pipe to the reducer bushing either (but glue the venturi side). That way you can use the assembly as a jet by pulling out the venturi portion.

Bir.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: key1cc and Newdude
Looks good. Are you aerating for a specific purpose? If it is just for looks, keep an eye on your pH as the aeration will make it rise quicker than normal.

Looks good. Are you aerating for a specific purpose? If it is just for looks, keep an eye on your pH as the aeration will make it rise quicker than normal.
Thanks! I'm using it to raise pH. I have a Coverstar pool cover and I have to keep an eye on the pH. It tends to drop all summer and is low in the spring when I open it. I live in Minnesota. I don't want to keep using chemicals and I'm trying to do it organically.

Last edited:
I'm using it to raise pH. I have a coverstar pool cover and I have to keep an eye on the pH. It tends to drop all summer and is low in the spring when I open it. I live in Minnesota. I don't want to keep using chemicals and I'm trying to do it organically.
Awesome job then!

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks! I'm using it to raise pH. I have a Coverstar pool cover and I have to keep an eye on the pH. It tends to drop all summer and is low in the spring when I open it. I live in Minnesota. I don't want to keep using chemicals and I'm trying to do it organically.
Does a pool cover cause ph to drop? I'm trying to get my ph up through aeration and I have a coverstar pool cover as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.