Should the variable speed RPMs be increased when pressure side booster pump is running?

Urbandweller

Jul 24, 2020
Sacramento, CA
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a VS IntelliFlo pump and a Polaris 380 cleaner on a booster pump. The VS pump usually runs around 1400 rpm’s. However when the booster kicks on the VS pump increases RPMs to around 2400. I inherited the setup this way. Is this typical or can I continue to run the VS pump at the lower speed with the booster running?

Depends. Try the lower rpm and see if the booster pump runs appropriately. If not, increase by 200 rpm and try again.

Can you put what automation system you have in your signature?

Ur,

Most people with VS pumps have to increase the RPMs when they run the booster pump and cleaner..

The exact speed is something you will have to find out for yourself.

How long does the cleaner run each day?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ur,

Most people with VS pumps have to increase the RPMs when they run the booster pump and cleaner..

The exact speed is something you will have to find out for yourself.

How long does the cleaner run each day?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks! I run the cleaner two hours per day. How do I know that the booster is working correctly? Do I just check the output by looking at the wheel rotations on the cleaner to make sure they are in spec?

Ur,

If you are only running for two hours at 2400 RPM, reducing the speed is not going to save you much at all.

I suspect that the previous owner found the 2400 was the best speed for main pump to run, when the booster is on..

I have a Robot cleaner, so don't know a lot about pressure side cleaners, but looking at the cleaner's wheels rotations sounds like the right way to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Boosters do not need much flow.

As long as the booster is not sucking in water from the returns, the main pump is providing enough flow.

Feel the main returns while the pump is on.

If they have flow, the flow is good.

1688146363864.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.