Should the Builder Plaster and Fill the Pool Without All of the Equipment Installed?

pigskintd

Jul 7, 2020
Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I am losing all trust with our pool builder and I wanted to hear your opinion on two things that don't see right to me (but I don't build pools).

1. The builder wants to plaster and fill the pool on Monday. No equipment is installed yet, I mentioned this and they said they could do a temporary pump to get circulation if they can't install the equipment before Monday. I am not sure what startup method is being used. I believe an Acid startup you don't run your pump for a few days. If it is a traditional startup I believe you are supposed to have your pump and filter running 24/7 right away for plater dust, right? Should I demand that they not plaster the pool until the equipment is installed?
  2. When are umbrella holders supposed to be installed? I thought this would happen before the shotcrete, but they insisted they are installed later. Obviously the pool have already been shot, but I would imagine they should install them before they plaster the pool, correct? The receptionist (her word is basically useless) said she believes they install the umbrella holders 45 days after the plaster has been installed because it needs to cure. To me (for whatever that is worth) seems incredibly dumb.
I would really appreciate any help here to validate my concerns. I am so done with the builder at this point and want them to be finished, but finished correctly. I will purposely fail my safety inspection to delay the above if these things needs to completed before plaster. I love this community and thanks for helping me become educated to fight back against this builder.

P.S. we are plastering the pool with Hydrazzo if that matters at all.

I can't speak much to filling the pool without equipment, except to say a temporary pump will work if it has a filter. I would prefer that, as the filter would be gone once the plaster dust is done, and your new filter will not have that dust.

As to the umbrella holders, we had an umbrella hole put in the gunite when it was shot, but when we were ready for plaster, we found we wanted the hole in a different location, due to us having found an in pool table with a hole for an umbrella. Our PB said no problem, and the plaster people drilled a new hole the day of plaster. Then the plaster people filled the old hole with plaster. It has to be done prior to plaster, I would imagine. No issues with ours.

Reactions: mknauss
I can't speak much to filling the pool without equipment, except to say a temporary pump will work if it has a filter. I would prefer that, as the filter would be gone once the plaster dust is done, and your new filter will not have that dust.

As to the umbrella holders, we had an umbrella hole put in the gunite when it was shot, but when we were ready for plaster, we found we wanted the hole in a different location, due to us having found an in pool table with a hole for an umbrella. Our PB said no problem, and the plaster people drilled a new hole the day of plaster. Then the plaster people filled the old hole with plaster. It has to be done prior to plaster, I would imagine. No issues with ours.
That is a good point if the temporary pump has a filter, that makes me feel a little better.

I am glad to hear your umbrella holders were drilled the day of plaster and I am ok with that. It makes no sense to drill them after the plaster has been completed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.